Open Minded | Teen Ink

Open Minded

By KaitSwin GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
KaitSwin GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida

I am a young woman on the verge of pure freedom, my mouth waters for the taste of change (gustatory imagery). No, I am not in a rush to figure out my future; nor am I in a hurry to find this “true identity” people seem to know about. I am gripping onto my strengths, leaving imprints on my hands, but my weaknesses seem to trail behind me, forming a shadow (visual imagery), and I see in the mirror a girl yet a woman, the world equals my oyster. I want to migrate, like a bird, flying away whenever and wherever I please, as long as it fits my standards and what I want at that moment. Like Tantalus, I feel tantalized. Different towns, states, and even countries lay before my eyes. The colorful leaves call me in, inviting me to dance away with them, whispering through winds (auditory imagery), to go explore. I want to hug the world tight, letting cultures seep deep into my skin with the lingering scent of experience. My heart thumps for adventure- and I might even be said to possess an open mind.

Nor my audacious interior a problem, you see I feel content with where I stand, but I want to go farther and experience the world. That playful mindset to which I listen to, flocks in the fun people I love, craving the tang of a good time. We speak through eyes and our souls. Reality, simply a word we do not know the definition for; we equal dreamers. Dreamers have a hard time understanding the people who settle for the least, for a person can do whatever they want in this world and the dreamer I know will do whatever I want in this realm. My existence sometimes wanders off; living in my own world I often forget the realness in me. I exist and this is my life, I have to remind myself that the only life I have. I might as well live it.

And, I scream myself awake, barely conscious of where I stand. For this is how a dreamer lives. You tend to forget about the “real” world, so caught up in your own. And, alas, I wake up.