Theory on Religion | Teen Ink

Theory on Religion

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Early this Monday morning
I prayed to God
but He didn’t respond:
I supposed He was busy
answering some other urgent prayer
while listening to a myriad
other prayers all at once.
So I headed downtown
to a nearby synagogue;
the rabbi, however,
told me to leave
for not being Jewish:
the Hebrew Lord
can’t waste His time
with a “filthy Gentile”.
I walked into a cathedral
and confessed to a bishop;
he said
I’d better repent
or I’d go straight to Hell;
yet I wasn’t searching
eternal damnation—
but temporary redemption.
The Buddhist temple
was closed today:
they don’t congregate
on weekdays.
The mosque was too full
for my taste.
And atheists never meet anywhere
with fellow non-believers.
I headed home,
believing prayers were futile
and left on the deities’ desks
like propaganda ads
or complaint letters.
But I found God,
brewing coffee—
a mug for Him
and one for me—
in my kitchen:
He’d been waiting for me
for an hour,
while I was out there,
seeking some other answer
rather than waiting for the one I asked for in the beginning.

First of, I didn't write this to evangelize or discriminate other religions. Let's get that out of the way. This is something that I've learned in my life. I was inspired by Gregory Corso's amazing poem "The Whole Mess...Almost" and Hebrews 10:36, "For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.."

BlondieArts GOLD, Harrisonburg, Virginia

"My world is a deck of cards, you deal with what you're dealt, and make the most of it."

I was reading this, and you know what? This is special. It's real. Good job.

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

This is a view I share in a way. Brilliantly written, McKay.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

thanks! ^j^

on Jun. 8 2014 at 9:27 am
honest_iago BRONZE, Midway, Utah

"Look on every exit as being an entrance somewhere else." --Tom Stoppard

Yes! This is perfect! I love the ending.

TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

"I wish I could be a little less dramatic, like a Kennedy when Camelot went down in Flames." -Miranda Lambert

You know, it's great that you reply to people's comments. I've seen few other people who take the time to do it.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I friggin love you and your jealousy. :P Thanks. Glad, you liked this enough to favorite. I'm honored. I had a feeling that out of anyone who would read this, you'd like it the best. Nice to know. XD 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you for reading. 

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

AHHH, I love this. I'm favoriting it NOW. The ending really caught me by surprise for some reason, you were kinda depressing me at the beginning. LOVE this. URGH, I hate you and your talent :P

BorderlineGenius777 SILVER, Lewiston, Idaho

"If all our misfortunes were laid in one common heap, whence everyone must take an equal portion, most would be content to take their own and depart."- Socrates

I love your take on religion. thank you for sharing this work of art.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much for that comment. I really appreciate how you took the time to decipher every aspect of it, then grasp the meaning.

TheMaskedPoet SILVER, Temple, Georgia

I really love this poem because it's so unique, especially for a religious poem... I really love that you gave othr religions (and athiesm) a chance before falling back into God's arms and showing that you'll go in a circle if you leave where you belong. It's really descriptive and poetic at the same time. Great job!!!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Ramfthomas4, thank you so much. I appreciate that you think this poem is amusing. I didn't want it to be all serious, though it is kinda, or dreary, as some religious poems can be. Thank you! And Amen! 

ramfthomas4 PLATINUM, South Bend, Indiana

“If the present world go astray, the cause is in you, in you it is to be sought.”
― Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy

Great job, McKay!  I love how you went through each religion in turn.  Your comments on them were funny, factual and insightful. Go God! 5/5

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Hey, Krasota, thanks so much for taking the time to read this poem and then comment on it. I'm a fangirl of coffee too. (Or fanboy, either way.) Thank so much for relating to this piece. I wanted to create that feeling of being able to relate to the speaker of this poem. Glad it worked out. 

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

This was so unique and beautiful. I just loved the ending to it :D Maybe it's because I fangirl over coffee every time I see the word (COFFEEEEEEEEEEEE), but this was truly a witty piece. For me, I felt as if I could associate with the narrator's discouragement. Beautiful work :D Keep it up, bro. 5/5