Roots | Teen Ink

Roots MAG

By EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland
EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

“Do I have roots?”

Sings the snowflake
as she tumbles down past midnight.

“Do I have roots?”

She sings,
as she slips
through an emerald sky.

“Do I have roots?”

Sings the snowflake
who thinks she is a flower.

“Do I have roots?”

Oh no, my dear.
Oh no,
but you can fly.

A poem for all the moving children out there-home is more than a place, I promise you <3

I lift my lids and all is born again.
-Sylvia Plath

Thank you!!

PixiePoet GOLD said...
PixiePoet GOLD, Woodbine, Maryland

"We must not lose this sense of possibility because in the end, it's all we have." - Marina Keegan

This is truly spectacular!  Well done, indeed!  I'm glad you can take past experiences and weave them into a wonderful work of art.  Congratualations on getting into the magazene!  You deserve it!

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Congrats getting published!

I lift my lids and all is born again.
-Sylvia Plath

Thank you! :D :D :D

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Congratulations Em! This one definitely deserved to be published. I am SO HAPPY :D :D :D

I lift my lids and all is born again.
-Sylvia Plath

Ah, Teen Ink ate my reply. What I said was that I'm really, really glad to have been able to effect you in that way and thank you so, so much for all your wonderful support and encouragement.

- Maya Angelou

And your description makes my haunted feeling edging away. wow. thanks for all that. Because I realize now that despite all the tough time and tears and tragedies, it gives me thousands of blessings as well, so thank you.

I lift my lids and all is born again.
-Sylvia Plath

Thank you! It's so great knowing that my writing an be relatable to others. I've always been haunted by moving, but now that I think back on it it has given me some incredible blessings. There are few people where I live who can look past an ending. They get incredibly upset when they see marching band seasons coming to an end or friends graduating, and I used to feel heartless for not being as sad as them. But it's nice to be able to focus on the beginings, and so to fly from one chapter to the next without worring whether or not things might happen the same way again. It's a gift not everybody's had, and I've seen some amazing things and had some incredible experiences because of it.

- Maya Angelou

And writing camp = WOW.

- Maya Angelou

I can relate so completely and I guess that is why this takes my breath away. This definitely made me think back on all the times we had to move and now that you put it in words I do wonder that very same thing. Many congratulations on the editor's choice but I do agree with thatunknownthing, that this one deserves more.

I lift my lids and all is born again.
-Sylvia Plath

Oh my goodness, thank you so much! That means a lot to me, really! I'm good--a little swamped with school work, but learning is fun so it's all worth it. I went to an amazing writing camp this summer, so that was really cool. How are you?

thatunknownthing DIAMOND, Dubai, Other

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why they call it the present"

OH MY GOODNESS. this deserves to be published in a real BOOK. a favorite for me now, definately. so beautiful, your imagery and the last line was extremely pleasing and original!!! amazing poetry. and yeah, it's been a long time since reading you! how are you doing?