memorabilia | Teen Ink

memorabilia

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

dog-eared paperbacks, neatly ironed
chinos, dirty high-tops, empty box
of cigarettes, sepia photographs,
vase of withering orchids, old vinyl records, black and white foreign films, gift-shop mugs stained with the coffee we made last night, half-empty stemware with cheap chardonnay, curling clouds of incense, musky aroma of designer cologne, black cursive curlicued letters of your name on my skin—so many damn things
constantly reminding me of you
now that you’re gone forever

Two inspirations here. First, Walt Whitman's technique of cataloging. And "Some Sense" authored of course by one of my literary pals whose poem I didn't understand at first but now I think I do. (By the way, when will your work cease to amaze and inspire me?) :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Hahaha. Maybe. Thank you. As you've noticed, I experiment a lot with my poetry. I try any style that intrigues me. This was a experiment. Thank you. Glad you like it. 

Labradorian PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
Very interesting style, it's very mix-and-match, but in a charming way. I'm impressed by your ability to hold my attention, despite the fact that you were listing objects. Maybe if state capitols or names or elements were listed in this way I'd have a better time of memorizing them.  

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Yes! I agree. I didn't want the things I detailed to be cliche. Plus, most of the mugs people tend to have, like myself, are like from gift-shops. Thank you, Lexus, for commenting. I appreciate as always. And I'm not sure that I want bullet holes in my mugs. I love all of my coffee.

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Gift-shot mugs? Haha, that might be something gift-shop owner could look into.. 'Buy a mug and we'll put a bullet hole in it for free!' and then for deals, 'Buy one mug, get two bullet holes in another mug for free! Yes, you heard it correctly, FREE!' Anyways, gift-shop**

This poem gave me such nostalgia, it's crazy! You did such a good job bringing in memories for the person you write about and for the readers.. the best thing is that it brought memories to me about so many different things, aw this made me so happy! I love the fact that you used the word 'chinos' and that you described the photos as sepia instead of black and white as people always do.. so that made the poem even more unique. The line that says 'gift-shot mugs stained with the coffee we made last night' was one of my favorites.. I don't know why, but that one really stuck with me the whole time I read. The line about letters of someone's name on your skin reminded me of your haiku 'Black Ink' which I haven't commented on yet! I love the way you ended it, it's a bit mysterious. I really really love this poem! *claps hands*

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Really? I was afraid people would think it wasn't good. Or get the point of it. Thank you. And sorry about your eyes. 

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Wow. I love your vocab. And it flows together so perfectly in the sentences. GAHHHHH IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL IT BURNS MY EYES. just WOW. <3