Deciding Steps | Teen Ink

Deciding Steps

July 10, 2013
By Waistband GOLD, Hudson Falls, New York
Waistband GOLD, Hudson Falls, New York
15 articles 0 photos 63 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong." Robin Williams


We stand before each other. Yet we seem universes apart. You’ve watched me grow. You raised me. You tried to mold my identity but I already found my own. We share a long look between each other. It’s all we have left to share it seems. I wish that somehow I could make you see who I am. I want you to see my potential. I need you to understand me. I just want you to be proud… But I know you never will be. I could carry the world but you would only turn away. But your control over me is fading and I know that you know this. It scares you and it angers you. You don’t believe I could ever make it because I’m not like you. To you, I’m always wrong. Your footsteps are already set in stone, and although there are some you regret, you want me to place mine inside of yours. But that is not what I wish to do. I place mine in another direction and wear down my own way of life. For I rarely tread the beaten path, and I guide myself not by the steps of others but by how I decide to place them. I look around and see the world through different eyes and in separate ways than you do and this causes me to judge what I see differently than you and to shy away from the philosophies of others. I never believed that to be different was wrong or bad, but to many it seems it is. But as I am ready to turn my back to the past and continue my journey forward, I wish for you to have faith in my choices. Give me this chance and I’ll reach the world I’ve been looking for.


The author's comments:
My inspiration was just everyones struggle with their parents for acceptance even though they are different than them. And I hope that others will read this and see that even though they may not be supported by others that they can still do great things.