Deciding Steps | Teen Ink

Deciding Steps

By Waistband GOLD, Hudson Falls, New York
Waistband GOLD, Hudson Falls, New York

"What's right is what's left if you do everything else wrong." Robin Williams

We stand before each other. Yet we seem universes apart. You’ve watched me grow. You raised me. You tried to mold my identity but I already found my own. We share a long look between each other. It’s all we have left to share it seems. I wish that somehow I could make you see who I am. I want you to see my potential. I need you to understand me. I just want you to be proud… But I know you never will be. I could carry the world but you would only turn away. But your control over me is fading and I know that you know this. It scares you and it angers you. You don’t believe I could ever make it because I’m not like you. To you, I’m always wrong. Your footsteps are already set in stone, and although there are some you regret, you want me to place mine inside of yours. But that is not what I wish to do. I place mine in another direction and wear down my own way of life. For I rarely tread the beaten path, and I guide myself not by the steps of others but by how I decide to place them. I look around and see the world through different eyes and in separate ways than you do and this causes me to judge what I see differently than you and to shy away from the philosophies of others. I never believed that to be different was wrong or bad, but to many it seems it is. But as I am ready to turn my back to the past and continue my journey forward, I wish for you to have faith in my choices. Give me this chance and I’ll reach the world I’ve been looking for.

My inspiration was just everyones struggle with their parents for acceptance even though they are different than them. And I hope that others will read this and see that even though they may not be supported by others that they can still do great things.

Waistband GOLD said...
Waistband GOLD, Hudson Falls, New York

Thank you Mckay, Ill make sure to remember your advice. :)  

Waistband GOLD said...
Waistband GOLD, Hudson Falls, New York

Thank you Indigo. :D I'm glad that you like it, and that you find it so relatable. Most of my poems are from personal experience so I think that it helps with everyones understanding of it while also keeping it personal to me. :)  

Indigo_Ink000 BRONZE, Hastings, Michigan

"I'll never let go." Rose from Tittanic

Brilliantly written...this is what every teenager should read when they feel down or confused. I got a "Robert Frost" feel from it, but it feels more relatable. :) Keep up the good work.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

If it means something to you, most likely it'll mean something to someone in this world. I guarantee it. 

Waistband GOLD said...
Waistband GOLD, Hudson Falls, New York

You are welcome and thank you. :) and no its perfectly fine haha. In fact thats great. :D I'm glad to know that my work actually means something to someone. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

This is what I've been nedding to read in forever. Thank you for writing this piece. The title is exceptional. And your writing is just so lyrical. I'm in love with this piece. You don't mind that, do you?