Music | Teen Ink

Music

By EmmaClaire0823 GOLD, Bay Minette, Alabama
EmmaClaire0823 GOLD, Bay Minette, Alabama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Music is not words, beats, notes, keys, scales
It is not meaningless noise
Trash talk or street cred
A way to get fame
Or a rise in popularity
Music is what you cannot say but cannot keep quiet
What you feel and how you feel it
It is an art and a science
A gateway, a portal
A story that takes you where you’ve never been
It is an adventure
It allows you to see glimpses into people’s souls
Their dreams, hopes, and lives
Music is a way to escape
A free passport
Built up emotions bursting inside
Your life reflected
A way to tune out the noise in your head
Common interest between enemies
Neutral ground
A way to realize your dreams
And show you who you want to be
It gives you a deeper understanding of yourself
Music is unlimited
Music is freedom, expression, inspiration,
Despair, hope, love, hate, fear, faith
passion, pain, darkness, light, desire.....
Life

I love music. I was listening to a great song last week and just felt inspired to write about how it made me feel.

author_musical PLATINUM, Torrington, Wyoming

Sweetie, if you're going to be two faced, at least make one of them pretty. - Marilyn Monroe

This is pretty much how I feel about music. Just a great way of describing the escape the notes gives you in a way that even writing or singing couldn't.

asofnow GOLD said...
asofnow GOLD, Troy, Michigan

Nothing gold can stay ~ Robert Frost

This poem was really touching and I loved the topic of it. In my opinion you could try taking out the lines about "way to fame.. popularity" because it seems so irrelevant commpared to everything else. Also, the ending was very cliche (life). imo, the best way to sum that up would be to use a metaphor about life relating to music. Overall, good job!

JulePearl BRONZE, Harlingen, Texas
Beautiful! As a pianist, and soon to be piano major, this poem really, really spoke to me. GREAT work and don't ever stop writing!

Myvoice4change SILVER, Other, Other

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end."

I like how you said "music is not words, beats, notes, keys, scales," I like how you explore the depth and meaning of music, and how you describe the range of emotions it captures, like despair, hope, love, and ultimately life.

on Dec. 10 2013 at 3:15 am
poetic.eyes PLATINUM, Everson, Washington

eARTh

At the end I began to murmur the poem under my breath! That means Amazing!

feychild21 BRONZE, Kalispell, Montana

"What you do makes a difference, and it's up to you to decide what kind of difference you're going to make" - Jane Goodall

Poem has an effortless flow to it, and the last line really wraps it up nicely. :)

gossamergirl GOLD, Nowhere, New Hampshire

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." ~ Moulin Rouge

This Perfectly describes music! Great Job!

Forever-A-Camper BRONZE, Blacksburg, Virginia

JUST FOR TODAY, I will live through this day only. I will not brood about yesterday or obsess about tomorrow. I will not set far-reaching goals or try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know that I can do something for 24 hours that would overwhelm me if I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will be happy. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. If any mind fills with clouds, I will chase it away and fill it with sunshine.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will accept what is. I will face reality. I will correct those things I can correct and accept those things I cannot.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will improve my mind. I will read something that requires effort, thought, and concentration. I will not be a mental loafer.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will make a conscious effort to to be agreeable. I will be kind and courteous to those who cross my path, and I'll not speak ill of others. I will speak softly, and not interrupt when someone else is talking.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will refrain from improving anyone but myself.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will do something positive to improve my health. If I am a smoker, I'll quit. If I am overweight, I'll eat more healthfully - if only just for today. And not only that, I will get off the couch and take a brisk walk, even if it's only around the block.
JUST FOR TODAY, I will gather the courage to do what is right and take responsibility for my own actions.

I love the simplicty and how it flows a lot.  i absolutly love it.  <3 :)

TheUniverse said...
TheUniverse, Everywhere,, Other

Exercise to stimulate, not to annihilate. The world wasn't formed in a day, and neither were we. Set small goals and build upon them.

Awesome!!!  I wrote one similar, I guess great minds think a like..

KennaJean BRONZE, Summerside, Other

Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on. Nick Fury

I agree with this whole heartedly!