The Rabbit Hole | Teen Ink

The Rabbit Hole

By Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

I’m in a strange land,
a sad place.
If I stay here much longer I swear I might
fall,
from this precarious height,
to a world with no end,
or beginning,
one untraveled by Imagination itself.
Alice,
even though she too fell,
asleep,
was led down her own rabbit hole, now I mine.
Yes, I am amazed,
one might say I am
in awe,
transfixed and held
captivated,
and especially, in a twisted, thrilling kind of way,
terrified
by the kind of beauty one dreams of
only in
nightmares.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

thank you so much :)

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

AMAZING! Okay, I figured since my insomnia is keeping me awake, i might as well do something useful at 2:47 in the morning! Great job this is really good. Your word choice is amazing and i love it :) great job keep rockin

demingfischer BRONZE, Doylestown, Pennsylvania

"Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." - Les Brown

Wow this is really powerful! Your use of language is awesome, especially in the line that talks about beauty in nightmares.

LittleLadybird GOLD, Carrickfergus, Other

To be nobody but yourself in a world that is trying it's hardest every night and day to change you into everyone else is to fight the hardest battle a human being can fight, and never stop fighting.

Awesome work as usual!! Love the comparison to Alice in Wonderland, you have perfectly captured the speaker's thoughts! Love the ending so much, I can't even describe it!!!

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

You're welcome! :DD

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

Thanks saphira!

- Maya Angelou

Another amazing piece Jade!  The irrgularity really give that thrill feel and the reference to Alice as well as the title you chose : Simply awesome. Also I loved the fact that you used the word "Precarious"...Keep writing cause you're climbing every day :D

sarah98 BRONZE said...
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

wowww!! this is so amazing

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Anytime anytime. The feeling's mutual. ^u^

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

LOL, thanks sistah!!!!! :D your feedback means so much!!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Hot Da*n that is good. Callie, this is amazing. I love the allusion to Alice in Wonderland. And that last line—wow! I tagging it as a favorite. So memorable. Congrats on the fat red check mark! Work it, Girl!

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

Thank you so much for your feedback!!

PhoebeB GOLD said...
PhoebeB GOLD, Lexington, Massachusetts

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
-Victor Hugo

I really looovve this poem. This is my favorite kind of poem to read: one that can mean soo many different things to different people. For me, it symbolizes finding oneself and "childhood" (hence the Alice in Wonderland). It is also beautifully written... Great job on this great poem! You should be really proud of your work! :)

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

Lol thanks girl!! XD

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

Thank you!!!!!

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

I like the lines "Yes, I am amazed,/One might say I am in awe,/Transfixed and held captivated." It reminds me a little bit of a snake mesmerizing its prey (where you're taking the point of view of the prey). Excellent job!

KatsK DIAMOND said...
KatsK DIAMOND, Saint Paul, Minnesota

Being inexhaustible, life and nature are a constant stimulus for a creative mind.
~Hans Hofmann
You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
~Ray Bradbury

Wow. This is deep and metaphorical. I think. (Sometimes I'm not awesome at interpreting poetry.) I really like it, though. Nice job!

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

Thanks so much!!

IndigoElisabeth SILVER, Woodbury, New Jersey

John 1:1

Wow! This is really good! Congrats on the Editor's Choice.