The Vending Machine | Teen Ink

The Vending Machine MAG

By AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other
AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other

'For you, a thousand times over.' - Hassan, The Kite Runner

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.

In the wet blackness,
Stood a vending machine,
Its light glowing brightly as ever,
Dutifully flaunting rows of canned drinks
To the bellowing winds and icy water,
Shunned by the rainy night,
Like a cringing salesman
With a door in his face.

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

on Apr. 27 2013 at 2:16 am

- Maya Angelou

"Like a cringing salesman ......With a door in his face" Loved that part...the rest of it too...but I liked that part cause the imagery there just caught me up. Nice poem!

lynlivesforhim BRONZE, Olathe, Colorado
You really take a topic that is unusual and give it an amazing twist. Great personification and imagery.

steelsoprano DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio
I love how you used personification here

swat17 SILVER said...
swat17 SILVER, Mineral, Virginia
The imagery is awesome! I love how it sort of instills a sense of hope. Great free verse

MissLizzieGirl GOLD, Arvada, Colorado
I love how you chose an inanimate object and made it real, with feelings.

ElisaTheDuck ELITE, Rigaud, Other

LOOK AT MY PROFILE. DO IT.

Great description and personification!

Potterhead_Is_amazing GOLD, Arvada, Colorado

Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, so long as one remembers to turn on the light.

Well,it was very descriptive.I could actually see it in my minds eye!great describing!It could mabey be just a bit longer,but thats it!

LiraDaeris PLATINUM, Tucson, Arizona

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

I feel like this vending machine a lot. Good job.