The Voice From Behind | Teen Ink

The Voice From Behind MAG

By dontforget GOLD, Cortland, New York
dontforget GOLD, Cortland, New York

"The best things in life are left unseen. That's why we close our eyes when we cry, kiss, and dream."

Sitting in class, I try my best to focus.
I'm always intrigued though, by the voice from behind.
Everyone is distracted and quite annoyed
by him … except me.
The voice says things I wish I did … always adds his opinion.
They always tell him to “hush!”
But every word that passes from those
delicate lips is sacred and makes
me smile.
Why do I defend the voice?
Always wishing they would leave him alone.
I've spoken to the voice very little …
but I never want it to be silent.
It's like my conscience.
No matter what the voice says (or sings),
my ears yearn for more.
They're addicted to the tiny lisp and the way they can hear his smile forming
as he speaks.
Defensive. Addicted. Yearning.
I've fallen in love with the voice
from behind.

on Mar. 3 2013 at 2:36 am
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Had great fun reading this. I like this poem because of the ease with which it flows, all the sentences just meld together I can't do that well with free verse... my fav line was " They're addicted to the tiny lisp and the way they can hear his smile forming"

otherpoet SILVER, Wayland, Massachusetts

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

I enjoyed reading this so much! You have an intriguing voice (no pun intended) and I liked following the thoughts of your character. Great job!

on Nov. 27 2011 at 9:53 am
SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

Awww cute! Haha, very nice. C:

The~Watcher said...
Ha. We all have that one kid in our classes somewhere... and yes, I used to have a crush on him. :)

dontforget GOLD, Cortland, New York

Thank you very much! I will gladly check that out:)

KyleG SILVER said...
KyleG SILVER, Millville, New Jersey
I was directed here by your forum overing an exchange of critques. Would you mind critiquing a poem of mine "Ocean Heart?" I would value your analysis greatly.

KyleG SILVER said...
KyleG SILVER, Millville, New Jersey
I love this poem. The way you created the character behind the "voice" was extraordinary. I do agree with supernerd's critique.

When I read it, the line "it's like my conscience" seemed out of place. It makes sense that you would never want your conscience to be silent, but "conscience" adds a connotation of ethical consideration that seems isolated amidst a poem feels clever and romantic. Could you think of a replacement line that complements that theme even more?

on Apr. 12 2011 at 8:00 am
dontforget GOLD, Cortland, New York

thank you! :]

Beachgirl1 PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington

"If You Don't Fight Back, You've Already Lost."
"Don't suppress Laughter, it goes to your thighs."

Wow! This poem is handled so well, it is great. I like the way it flows from one thing to another. The only thing i would change was no matter what the voice says (or sings) i would change the part in parthneses, idk why :) great JOB!

on Apr. 8 2011 at 11:11 am
dontforget GOLD, Cortland, New York

thank you very much! :] yes, I do agree with you that I should change that line

the_sparrow SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

I really like this poem. You handle free verse very well, something I don't think I can do (just gotta rhyme!). I especially like the way you did line 2..."I'm always intrigued though, by the voice from behind." The comma is important there for the flow. You may disagree, but I kinda wish you had done these lines the same way:

"But every word that passes from those delicate lips

Is sacred, and makes me smile."

Something about the rhythm...Anyway, very nice!