Hug is all | Teen Ink

Hug is all

By SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota
SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

“Are you okay?”
I need a hug is all I need
and that is all I want.
The closest I get is
“Are you okay?”
of which I always answer
“Yes.”
No matter what, I am always okay
if that is all you ask.
Give me a hug and I’ll crack,
I’ll break, you’ll hear me true.
I thought that was what you wanted.
No? Move along then,
Forget what I said.
Pretend all I said was yes.

AlaskaFrost GOLD, Acushnet, Massachusetts
another great poem! there is so much tension and you convey it so well!!

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

I like it. How many people, expecially teens, are able to admit that they need a show of affection to make them feel better? That they arn't in contorl of everthing and need reasurance that things will be alright.

The line "I need a hug is all I need" was a little akward, perhaps with a comma in the middle and changing "is" to another word like "it" or "that". I don't really get "youll hear me true".

I think, however that this is an awsome poem. I like it alot probably because I am a hugger myself. Four stars, keep writing!

Could you check out "Ballad of Loss"? I submitted it annoymously, so youll have to do a search.... Please?

Simplemelody GOLD, Otisco, Indiana

May the sun always shine on your windowpane; May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain; May the hand of a friend always be near you; May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

This is well written not to mention short, simple, and to the point. It has innocence about it that makes it even better. Even with the short length it still packs a strong punch of emotion. This is a really good poem. 

izyfizy GOLD said...
izyfizy GOLD, Alameda, California

You all laugh because I'm different,
I laugh because you're all the same.
- Anonymous

My eyes watered up in this one. wow.

And I LOVE how you worked in dialouge! My poems NEVER end up having it in them! So, YAY for you!

SamiLou SILVER said...
SamiLou SILVER, Lee&#39s Summit, Missouri

"Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia"
-John Green (Looking For Alaska)

I love how this poem just shows how vulnerable you are and how easily you can be shattered if someone lets themselves into your life. I can relate to it alot.

vagabond_age BRONZE, Alameda, California

“The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
― David Foster Wallace, This Is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, about Living a Compassionate Life

I like this poem! it seems so simple but there is really a lot of emotion in it. The only little tiny itty bitty problem is gramatical: After "are you okay?" it should say "to which" not "of which"... unless that was intentional, not sure

Really good poem though! Its easy to relate to. :)

ReadWriteBreathe PLATINUM, Pocatello, Idaho

"You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you" Tyler Durden Fight Club

I love this. It's how I feel a lot, like I feel like bursting and if someone asks if i'm ok I just say yes. You really capture the emotion in this. Good job.

--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

No, I don't think I knew you when I wrote this either.

juscziwto said...
on Mar. 14 2011 at 10:21 am
juscziwto, Farmingtion, Minnesota
Does this have anything to do with my brakedown at church

on Feb. 19 2011 at 4:50 am
the_sparrow SILVER, Chicago, Illinois

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

I can definitely relate. Funny how people say one thing and mean another, both when you lie and say youre ok, and when they pretend they want the bad news.  People want to be sympathetic, but often they don't feel they have the time/energy when it comes down to it

Hazel-daisy GOLD, --, Other

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else - Erna Bombeck

In three words i can sum up everything I've learned in life: it goes on -Robert Frost

Live, Love, Laugh - ______

Hope, Love, breathe <3 - Me

i really love it, its very personal especially because when most people ask me if i'm okay, i always say yes and this shows me an insight to when i ask other people if they are okay and they're clearly not to care a little more. Anyway, great job!!

SunnySummers GOLD, New York, New York
This was good. You can seriously feel sadness in the way the poem is written. Sometimes people just say they're okay, wearing a mask over their true pain, but with just the slightest interest being shown, they'll admit that things aren't going well at all. Whether other people understand you or not, God always knows what you're going through and He can be the greatest comfort to you.

Lonleydandy said...
Awww..sometimes I feel this way toooooo......Great poem!

minnieokie said...
This poem is really good.  One of my favorites.  To me, it screams it's message to the reader.