Welcome to America | Teen Ink

Welcome to America

By icefaerie10111 GOLD, Exeter, Rhode Island
icefaerie10111 GOLD, Exeter, Rhode Island

Welcome to America: A land of opportunity
where a man on Welfare can make more than a public school teacher.
Welcome to America: A land paved in gold
where we are in trillions of dollars of debt.
Welcome to America: "Liberty and Justice for all":
where our pledge does not include minors or homosexuals;
where it is not applied to the oppressed and those in debt.
Welcome to America: A land for the people
where the cooperation is clearly a person as you and me, from a political aspect.
Welcome to America: ...and by the people
where you can buy legislative power from a governor in Illinois.
Welcome to America: A effort against the "Drug War"
where we can't even keep our police officers clean.
Welcome to America: Where people and legislature see eye to eye;
where a democracy and a republic clash heads.
Welcome to America: Separation of Church and State
where we have only had two non-Protestant Presidents.
Welcome to America: A land of freedom
where women no rights until 1848, and could not vote until 1920;
where African-Americans were isolated from society until the 1960s;
where American Citizens of the same nation had to kill each other to abolish slavery.
Welcome to America: A Nation of peace
where we are always at war.
Welcome to America: A Nation united
where states are divided.
Welcome to America: A Nation of tolerance
where "the people" see Islam in the government as more of a problem than economic reform.
Welcome to America: A Democracy
where we win votes by scandals and controversy, not political action or issues.
Welcome to America: Does the system work for you?
where fitting into the system is more important than improving it.
Welcome to America: Where several police officers were killed in a cafe a couple of weeks ago;
where no one noticed because they were too preoccupied with the fact that Tiger Woods cheated on his wife.
Welcome to America: Most politicians one were lawyers;
where it seems being a celebrity gives you power equal to that.

Welcome to America where many people who read this article never got past the second line because they would rather ignore the issues than resolve them.

JesuSwag BRONZE, Darby, Pennsylvania

" It takes a voice to create an Echo "

I enjoyed reading this. I must say though, I LOVE the ending, it's something you wouldn't expect. Good job. Stay BLESSED!

-JesuSwag

Shining.With.Crystal.Clarity SILVER, Bristol, Virginia

"The Doctor talks to himself sometimes, because he's the only one who knows what he's talking about!"
~Sarah Jane Smith

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen..."
~Hebrews 11:1

"Aim small, miss small."

Hey! Stop getting sarcastic. I'm sorry if it looked like I was implying that every single athiest and pagan in the history of America was evil intentioned! I'm not meaning to imply that.

Sure, in America, you can believe what you want. What I'm saying is, America was founded on Christian principles, whether you like it or not. Just because it doesn't sound like "Elsie Dinsmore" founded the country, doesn't mean it wasn't Christian morals and principles that used to be the foundation of America.

(That's why if I could vote, I'd vote for Ron Paul. He abides by the Constitution.)

I am NOT saying that only Christians can live or should live in America. If I had my way, I'd wish for all the world to be Christian. But I know that everyone thinks for themselves, and not everyone believes the way I do.

I am a Christian, and my God hates atheism and paganism. But He and I don't hate the people that believe it. We hate the beliefs, not the believers.

Hope this makes sense.

And for the record, I re-read over my comment, and then yours, and yours was more offensively written then mine. *shrugs* So stop calling the kettle black. =D It's obvious we have two totally different viewpoints, so we're just going to continue to offend each other. Oh well.

GHansen said...
GHansen, Idaho

The meaning of life is to give life meaning.

The U.S. was never a Christian country. In fact, one the the main reasons so many people came to America was because we offered religious freedom. That's not  "free to be Christian", that's "free to believe whatever you want."

Also, I'm sure it wasn't your intention at all to offend any atheists or pagans by stating that they're the sole reason our country is a complete wreck, but for some strange reason I actually did find it offensive. The United States is extremely diverse. Making it so that only Christians can live here goes against everything our country was built on.

I do understand where you're coming from a little, but please try to be courteous and respectful of others' beliefs, and know that atheists and pagans are not all evil and anti-America. I know that monotheists are just as much a part of the problem.

(Oh, and to the author: lovely poem! It's sparked a lot of discussion, which is great.)

thetruthawaits94 SILVER, Duncan, Oklahoma

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

This is an impressive piece of writing. I disagree with the religion thing for the same reasons that thewouldbelibrarian said. Although this is a strong piece, i feel that as you go along, your points begin to become more muddled and weak, as you may have become more desperate, just putting more points into it to make your piece longer. Remember that longer is not always better! Overall, good work!

BloglessBlogger GOLD, Somerset, California

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep keep you from playing the game."

Your right most people won't read that far, most people won't care, most people want to be loved and don't want to cause ripples. This country will eventually fall like Rome. Two-hundred years from now America could just be a country studied in history that doesn't matter. I see reasoning behind everything you say and see why this needs to be resolved. Us as the future generation need to get up and do something. The poor people are the only ones who work because they've seen the bad and want to make it better. People to to take off the glasses and see America for everything it owes other countries...

Isis.Mond BRONZE, Topeka, Kansas
I feel this was very well writen. It is very true, and I agree. The US has many problems, and they need to be pointed out. It is far from a perfect country, and yet many people have the illusion in their heads that it is perfect. Well done. 

~Sarah Jane Smith

~Hebrews 11:1

"Aim small, miss small."

I agree with about half of what you said, but the other half I don't agree with. Our country was founded by Christians, who made this a Christian country. Pagans and athiests later intervened, and it's due to them that our country has moved downhill. I mean no offense to pagans and athiests, but it's the truth. If the country was run like a Christian country, all these other problems you've mentioned wouldn't be around. Also, you contradict yourself. If everything you protested against was fixed, our country would be in unresolvable chaos. Your article was interesting, and very well written! I just don't agree with a lot of it.

Kunabee GOLD said...
Kunabee GOLD, Aurora, Colorado

This poem is Kunabee-approved.  Moving on...

This is very true.  I agree entirely, I think you were 100% accurate.  Thanks for the message.  It's time to resolve the issues.

How can we help others if we can't help ourselves?

C'mon, people in power!  Everyone but YOU knows the truth!

Zero GOLD said...
Zero GOLD, Langley, Washington
That was EXTREMELY GOOD!!!!! I absolutely LOVED it. I really loved your ending! GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!! :D

Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois

"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. " - Bill Gates

I absolutely loved this! The ending was incredible. I respect your courage for saying what everyone else is afraid to say! 

Yousmell-likealoser BRONZE, Belgium, Wisconsin

"Life may not always be what you want, but life is all you've got; so stick a flower in your bellybutton and be happy!"

Ahh, I love this! This is just what I was waiting to hear. Really good job. It's a wake up call.

Jazzpencilness BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
If it wouldn't break my computer screen, I'd give this paper a high five.

pandagirl312 GOLD, Leawood, Kansas
Great work!!! I LOVE this, the ending included. I also love that even if one isn't incredibly educated in politics, they can still understand this. Fabulous!!!

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
of course we have wars in the streets! those wars are just consolidated to impoverished areas, whether it be police abuse or people fighting for income or greed or just fighting cuz thats all theyve seen and they see no way out

-youngbrownpoet-, Cheyenne, Wyoming

"You're the only one who can make the difference. Whatever your dream is, go for it." - Earvin "Magic" Johnson

I like how this calls out the problems that the U.S. actually has and that we are not the gold and glitter country that everyone else in the world seems to associate us with. Great stuff.

Jaycee92 PLATINUM, Lincoln, Nebraska

"Expect the Unexpected"

Nice, This Speaks the truth all too well!

michaela mrianda BRONZE, Temporary, Other

i agree. i find the ending funny but true.i wonder how many people shut down after reading the first few lines people like you make a diffrence i wont be suprised if i hear your name some day.

great poem it shows your love for writing as well as your need to make a point

flip-flops said...
flip-flops, Bernardsville, New Jersey
Yes, I completly agree that complaining about things in the past is stupid. All I am saying is that forgetting about the past would be stupid as well.

The~Watcher said...
Well, yes, of course. We have learned incredible things from the sufferage and civil rights movements. Which is why I don't see how complaining about the 1920's and 60's is an example of what's wrong with today's socicety. Of course we should learn from them, but they're an example of what's good about the country, not what's bad- we've improved.

flip-flops said...
flip-flops, Bernardsville, New Jersey
I think the point of learning and remebering history is to make sure that we don't repeat the mistakes of our past. For instance, hopefully one can learn from the suffrage movement so an inequality and injustice such as that will never be repeated.