Nostalgia by Rod Wave | Teen Ink

Nostalgia by Rod Wave

By tylermeyers13 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
tylermeyers13 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“Nostalgia” by Rod Wave is my favorite album that I have heard many people agree with and many people disagree with. Most people wonder why I like this album so much. So I'm going to talk about why it is my favorite album. What really stuck out to me in all of his songs were his lyrics , tone , style ,and his story behind the album. 

First is Rod Waves' music and his lyrics can relate to lots of people. What is unique about his music is that he doesn’t mumble words and he tries to make the message in his lyrics clear. Listen closely to the lyrics in this album and notice that every verse he sings has its own meaning. My favorite song and the one I relate to the most is “Call Your Friends ”. In this song he talks about him planning out his life when he was young and sings about not wanting to flex all his money and getting into money competitions. In the song he says “if it wasn't for favors they’ll never call you” meaning if he wasn’t famous he wouldn’t be cared about and no one would call him. He is telling all the listeners to call their friends and check on them because you never know what someones going through.

Another is the tone of his songs in this album. The different speeds of the songs in each song is amazing. He can switch the tone of his music very well. The beats and the intros of the songs are also something different then other rappers. The intros are one of my favorite things about his music. He starts off with him talking with no beat and just talking not singing.. The two songs that I see as examples of different speed and tone are “HG4” which is a faster upbeat song and “Pass You By” which is a slower song. But even in the faster songs like “HG4”  the lyrics are still understandable. Because his voice is so clear and if he had a wrong beat on a song it could throw the whole thing off. In my opinion there aren’t any mistakes in the tone of his voice and the beat in this album.

Next is his style of slower rap songs but he can be fast too. One of the different things he does is the intro into some of his songs on this album are parts of other songs. When he went on tour for this album he brought an artist named “Sadie Jean”.  She sings the opener to another one of my favorite songs called “2018.” A fan favorite on this album is “Turk and Caicos' ' on this song he brings a very popular artist “21 Savage' ' and the song number 2 on the album under the opening song called “Nostalgia' ' the first song on the album. The style of “Turks and Caicos” is different from the other songs because it has a different style and brings more positive emotions to the album. 

Lastly is his story. Rod Wave sings in his songs on this album about the journey he took to get where he is now. That's why it is called “Nostalgia.” which means remembrance of how something used to be. In some songs in this album he talks about his growing up with no money and his dad being in jail. He talks about not wanting his kids to grow up like he did and giving them a better life. The song “Pass You By” in my opinion is the most meaningful song. He says “you can’t be stuck in the past when your future is brought , can’t let it bring you down, don't let it pass you by.” Meaning move on and live in the moment that is my favorite verse in any song. Telling everyone to let go and focus on the present , everyday is a gift. 

The lyrics , tone , style ,and story are the 4 reasons why “Nostalgia” by Rod Wave is my favorite album. So if this was interesting then go listen to the album. Rod Wave has changed my style of music in the best way possible. This album has changed my perspective and style of music and taught me how to pay more attention to what the artist is actually saying. "Don't forget “ You gotta shoot for the stars , reach for the sky, gotta patch up your pain and live your life , can’t let it bring you down, don't let it pass you by.” - Rod Wave.

This is for people who enjoy Rod Wave and or music.