First Gen | Teen Ink

First Gen

By yatziryvirgenn BRONZE, Hemet, California
yatziryvirgenn BRONZE, Hemet, California

Get up the unrequested responsibilities born aside you do not tire; supervise the little ones while being productive and beneficial to the house that is not your own, but your responsibility to uphold; It does not matter if you’re worn out, exhausted, or ill; Always be the leader you wished you had as a child, and be the representative of success;  when you’re making a decision don’t be selfish, first think of how you will affect your family, how will you benefit them, or god-forbid, how will you humiliate them; When at school always remember how you do in academia will set the standard for the rest of your life; If you do not go to college you will not get a well paying job, thus you will not be able to give back to your family; what if I want to travel, move out-of-state, or simply be careless; there is no such thing as “careless” you must always have a plan, infact, have a plan a, b, c, going all the way to z; Moving out of state? How will you see your family? Do you hate us? Has the roof over your head been too warm? Has the food in the fridge been too filling? Has your life been so horrible?; No, of course not, I just mean-; Always be the representative of success; The success you will accomplish will not be your own, but a family heirloom to pass down for generations to come; Don’t soak in laziness or succumb to the temptation of a care-free life; You will be a monument to the success or failure of the family, which outcome would be beneficial to the family?; What if I don’t know how to succeed?; Learn. 

I am a senior in High School and my English teacher asked my class to write an 250 word essay that mimicks Girl written by Jamaica Kincaid. This was my submission, I wrote from the point of view of a First Generation college student and the responsibilities that follow.