We Can't Back Down | Teen Ink

We Can't Back Down

By Briology BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas
Briology BRONZE, Round Rock, Texas

We are getting judged by the color of our skin, 

They're trying to snatch us from this earth so that they can win.

They are just judging us by our looks, and they scored a point in this (endless!) match and killed Rayshard Brooks!

We can't back down, we have to stay strong. Why can't they understand what they're doing is wrong?

We can't back down, we need to stay tough. We are tired of all this racism, we've had enough!

They're trying to throw us in the trash,

They burned Black Wall Street because we were living it up, we had all the cash.

They weren't okay with that, that behavior wouldn't suffice. They scored another point and killed Tamir Rice!

We can't back down, we need to stay tough, we are tired of all this racism, we've had enough!

Eric Gardener, George Floyd, (Say their name, say their name!)

They are killing Blacks; they are going paranoid!

Breonna Taylor, Freddie Gray, (Say their name, say their name!) This is abuse!

They get mad at us when they are the ones that lit the fuse!

They watched those innocent souls die, they felt no guilt when they saw them cry,

They said that they did something wrong but it's all just a lie!

But I have a message for all those Black haters, and skin color raters.

I won't back down, I am going to stay strong. You shouldn't be doing this. It's wrong

I won't back down, I will stay tough; but for the love of God, please just stop.

I've had enough.

My name is Brianna and I am a high school writer from Texas. I enjoy cooking, reading, writing, and listening to music. I mainly poetry, but I also enjoy writing short stories. My goal is to publish a book before I graduate high school.