Sad | Teen Ink

Sad

November 7, 2023
By Anonymous

It's hard to express emotion.

Sadness creeps over the body in waves. 

I sit in the dark and wonder what is wrong with me.


Talking about being sad is like chewing on glass,

It feels like the worst thing you can imagine .

Being vulnerable around my family is hard,

I often sit in my room and cry without anyone noticing.


Telling myself i just need to tell someone why I am upset  

No, I can't let them know i'm not happy

I sit and let my inner thoughts get the best of me.

 

Mom I cannot shake this sadness, I always feel empty inside.

I stand in the mirror and practice what I am going to say to her.


I Just don't feel like myself anymore

You are doing all that you can.

You need to let yourself be sad to overcome the sadness


It felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders

Telling someone how I was feeling made me feel like I wasn't the only person in the world anymore.

It's hard to express emotions.


The author's comments:

Growing up I always thought that I had to always be perfect and that if I told anyone I was sad I would be judged. It's hard to think that way as a 10 year old. For almost 8 years I've been trying to figure out how to express my feelings and tell people why I'm upset. I have not yet perfected it. My mom always tells me “you can tell us when you are upset. But you aren't allowed to take it out on us.” Ok, that's helpful.. Don't take your sadness out on family members. In my head that meant “Don't be sad around family, don't say anything. You're fine”  People don't understand but trying to hide every single emotion you have is kind of hard. Bottling up everything you have going on until one day you crack. But you can't, Because you can't take it out on your family. Which really means “Don't show emotions.” In this past year I have finally learned how to open up to my family without taking my anger and sadness out on the rest of the people in my house. It feels good being able to talk about why I'm sad.