Carpe Noctern | Teen Ink

Carpe Noctern

By WillaTalbot GOLD, Apex, North Carolina
WillaTalbot GOLD, Apex, North Carolina

Carpe Noctern

Carpe diem

Pretentious voices scream, engulfing the muted cries of the stars. Clutching to their remaining dignity, they silently resign

Those atrocious words chase away any lingering notion of gratification, dulling their cheerful radiance

They drive in offense one did not know existed, for who refrained from crediting the stars

Did Orion now fail to garner the admiration its greek worshipers had showered upon him?

Were these roman radicals in disdain at all the nocturne had offered? 

It seemed Diem had won over their affection with their mediocre, incoherent, oversized star. Their only star. 

Ask azure for one sun, wavering and inconsistent, and indigo will dazzle you with the stories of billions

Appalled in realization of this newfound lack of human gratitude, they  pronounced to conceal what was taken for granted

All those histories vanished in the blink of an eye, cloaked by the suspended fragments ocean has lent

Watch as they flee across the inky abyss. Tears streaking in their wake, illuminating the aching night  

A witness to their departing companions, moon shuns themself from cackling villains. Returning once every other fortnight, anticipating the return of abscond brethren

How tragic the woes of Nox! Shame to those who failed to seize them, left to disappear into insignificance! 

How heartbreaking the stories of Noctern! A once mighty force diminished to mockery, twas a shame

twas a shame…