The Circuit of Life | Teen Ink

The Circuit of Life

April 26, 2023
By racing-kid BRONZE, Petoskey, Michigan
racing-kid BRONZE, Petoskey, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

He quickly knew there was no hope of overtake at this point, yet still pushed harder.


With each passing lap, he closed in upon first place.


Each time he passes by, blowing gusts of wind in his wake.


Barely able to catch your breath in anticipation of what’s to come.


The metal machines flying by, nose to tail as if linked together by invisible forces.


Side by side, neither wanting to relinquish any sort of advantage as they wind around the track.


The screeching howl of metal on metal as they make contact.


Yet still, they refuse to yield until, whoosh --- over. Engines purring as they slink slowly around the twists and turns, waiting for confirmation of either glory or failure. That last flag ends the intense game of charades, each movement, each choice, each corner a new risk. 


The author's comments:

I grew up fascinated about racing and all things cars. I've been told by a lot of my teachers over the years that I should do something with one of my works, so that's what I've decided to do with this piece. This was the result of a class activity where we had to take 8 random words and turn them into a poem, and I really like how it came out in the end. The underlined words are the ones which each of us chose randomly.