This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By ashleigh_farrell BRONZE, West Seneca, New York
ashleigh_farrell BRONZE, West Seneca, New York

"I want to live my life so that I'll be able to read an in depth biography about myself in later years and not puke" -Paris Geller, (Gilmore Girls).

I believe that women shouldn’t go through half the things they go through now. 

I believe women shouldn’t worry about the things they are told they should.

“Your hair doesn't look the best today.” or “You should really try more, you look like you're losing yourself.” 

I believe that women shouldn’t have to change for men’s standards.

“Why do you dress up so much, stop that.” or “Stop wearing so much makeup, you’re trying too hard.” 

I believe that teen girls shouldn’t have to stress over boys.

I believe that teen girls shouldn’t have to go through the pain of a guy telling them he likes her when he really doesn’t.

I believe women shouldn’t have to worry about their bodies as much as they do.

‘I’ve gained some weight recently, I need to start that diet I heard about.’ or ‘I don’t think I’ll look good in that shirt yet, I haven’t been watching how much I eat and I haven't been working out this month.’

I believe that teen girls shouldn’t have to be told by their parents the things they do.

“Don’t wear that shirt, it's too revealing.” or “Stop eating like a man, you’re going to gain weight.” 

I believe that teen girls shouldn’t have to be told by their “friends” the things they do.

“Don’t wear that out, you’re asking for it.” or “Don't worry, if he’s being mean to you that means he likes you!”

I believe that women shouldn't be treated differently just because they are women.

“Don’t be surprised if you don't get that job, the other person trying is a man.” or “Gain some weight, you look anorexic.” to “Lose some weight, you don’t look like yourself.”

I believe girls shouldn’t be pressured to do the things they are.

“Did you see that new workout plan, you should really try it.” or “You’ve never tried this, you should.”

I believe women do a lot more than men understand.

‘You know what, I think I look good in this so I’m going to wear it.’ and ‘I feel really good today, I’m going to treat myself to some unhealthy food.’ 

I believe women are stronger than we are accounted for.

I wrote this poem for an ELA project last year and my teacher told me to publish it, but I never knew where. Now I have found Teen Ink and I decided I should post it here. Give me constructive criticism if you read it. I would love to improve!