What is summer? | Teen Ink

What is summer?

By theotakuauthoremail SILVER, Bothell, Washington
theotakuauthoremail SILVER, Bothell, Washington

"books are a uniquely portable magic" - Stephen King

Summer is having so much spare time you almost don’t know what to do with it.

Summer looks like school being out, kids running around playing in the park, or  yellow dandelions in the lush green grass.

Summer feels like forgetting your sunscreen and getting sunburnt, or the cold water lapping at your feet as you wade into the river, or maybe rushing over you as you jump in.

Summer sounds like birds chirping and children laughing as they splash each other and swim.

Summer smells like a freshly mowed lawn, or the salty air of the ocean as you walk along the beach with your family.

Summer tastes like ice cream on a hot day and cotton candy as you walk through a carnival with friends, or a perfect cup of iced lemonade to go with the watermelon and hamburgers at a barbeque.

Summer is many things, depending on who you are and what you like. As for me, summer is getting more hours on my job and hanging out with friends, then staying up late watching anime, because I’m no athlete and don’t like to ride bikes.

Several of my friends gave me ideas of what summer is, and I could not have writen this poem without them. After writing this, I can really see what summer is again.