Secret | Teen Ink

Secret

By EdytD SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey
EdytD SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey

Alone,
with vacuous
eyes staring blindly.
Quiet, but for tumultuous
noises inside an already befuddled
mind. Silently, I sit, brow furrowed,
lost in thought, in an engulfing emptiness
that I have created, and I know that
I have a secret, and the secret is mine.

Hey! I'm Edyt, and I love reading, writing, and public speaking or debating. I greatly admire the poet Edgar Allan Poe, and I strive to emulate his style when I write poetry. With this poem, instead of keeping a constant rhythm, I increased the number of words by one for each line. Therefore the first line has one word, the second two, etc.

RebeccaY SILVER, Cape Coral, Florida

"We were all dealt our own hand in this game"

your poetry connects with me, on a certain degree. you really made me feel the way you were, and that's hard to do. Bravo, dear.

EdytD SILVER said...
EdytD SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey
No, they haven't been published yet, but i'm hoping! :D

hannahbanana24 BRONZE, Overland Park, Kansas
Wow, I really like this piece. I have felt like that quite a bit. Your pieces are good; I'm enjoying reading them.

xXsmileXx PLATINUM, St. Louis, Missouri

"Your dreams only become intangible when you stop reaching" ~me ;)

Thnx for commenting on my poem. This is really good and i never would have thought of the whole first line has one word and so on. unique. Keep writing!

hey_itskatelyn PLATINUM, Willis, Texas

“God, of your goodness, give me yourself; you are enough for me, and anything less that I could ask for would not do you full honour. And if I ask anything that is less, I shall always lack something, but in you alone I have everything”

i just wanted to say thanks so much for taking the time to read my poetry and for the great constructive comments. You are really talented and i cant believe your pieces havent been published! Have they? lol idk. But they should be. i like the style you used in this piece. Great job

on Apr. 29 2009 at 2:30 am
xXxFallingTearsxXx GOLD, Cottonwood, Idaho
I really like this! You have a great word choice!

EdytD SILVER said...
on Apr. 29 2009 at 1:15 am
EdytD SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey
Thanks guys for the comments - they mean so much to me! :D

Wolfy DIAMOND said...
Wolfy DIAMOND, Huntsville, Alabama

A room without a book is like a body without a soul.

This is a peom that is true in it's own, special way. That truth is something that can relate to so many nowadays. That 'secret' that you're keeping from the rest of us poets, I swear, it won't be a secret for much longer! I'll find it!

on Apr. 25 2009 at 12:13 am
YeseniaG SILVER, Livonia, Michigan

Life is what happens when you're busy making plans.

love this and the silent confusion

EdytD SILVER said...
EdytD SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey
thanks! Personally, secrets confuse and bother me to no end - I hyper-analyze, so I am often preoccupied with something - which might be able to be seen in my poem. As I muse, everyone else is somewhat tuned out, and I enter my own world.

This one was a lot of fun to write - it was different and unusual. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well!

Mikal SILVER said...
on Apr. 23 2009 at 6:38 am
Mikal SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Hey! I love secrets! I luv keeping them and createing them but what I like better is this poem. I like it's lenght. It gets straight to the piont!

on Apr. 20 2009 at 2:20 am
Hannah:] SILVER, Temperance, Michigan
WOW. this was really cool! i love how you added one more word and how each line explained more and more. The similarities between your poems and Poe's are very clear! keep it up!

DoLL_F@C3 said...
DoLL_F@C3, Memphis, Tennessee

"FORGIVING YESTERDAY, LIVING FOR TODAY, NOT WORRIED BOUT TOMORROW." Doll

this is a very powerful piece and i enjoyed reading it

EdytD SILVER said...
EdytD SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey
what's interesting is that people seem to see the similarities between poe's and my work especially in this poem, but this is a poem that i thought the style was especially different. but it's probably b/c of the content, as opposed to the rhythm (which is very different).

CrowOfRuination PLATINUM, Lawrence, Kansas

You cannot be lonely if you like the person you're alone with. -Wayne Dyer
Leading those who have followed a greater leader without knowing what it is you are doing is the same as wielding a sword against a master of weapons. -Kreepy

I like this one too, you have your own feel to it as well as it being similar to Edgar's writing. Keep it up Edyt, you are doing an awesome job! :D

EdytD SILVER said...
on Apr. 12 2009 at 12:14 am
EdytD SILVER, Livingston, New Jersey
thanks! If you notice, each line has one more word added to it - starting with 1 word and ending with nine; rather than using my usual beat and rhythm, I played with the poem by increasing the length of each line.

I've been hooked on Poe, so to speak, since about fourth grade, and from then on I've been an avid reader of all of his short stories and poems, so I'm not surprised that his style is rubbing off on me. It's kind of neat, though, that other people realize it. Thank you! :D

i like it! it has an abstract air about it that i really like :) thanks for commenting on my 'i dare you' story :) sorry if it was confusing ; ) i like Edgar allan poe too, your writing style and his ARE quite similar, but like most yours has an individuality to it :) keep writing your really good :)