No Gym | Teen Ink

No Gym

By Matt Steinbeck BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Matt Steinbeck BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Dear Editor:

Everybody loves sports, especially high school sports, but nobody likes gym class. If you are an in season athlete, physical education just seems a waste of time.

Some people may say Phys. Ed. is what the students need to prepare themselves for future habits. I veto this opinion and say that athletes already know excellent ways to stay healthy later on in life. Robert Steinbeck of Pittsburgh McNaugher, shared that he tries to teach his students responsibility and ways to keep healthy but also mentioned that the athletes he coaches learn ways to stay fit by doing the workouts with their team.

Being an athlete myself, when I have gym I’m always scared of getting hurt. Gym teachers always try to push the students to work their hardest, but on a game day for an athlete they could be tired or even get hurt in class. It would be safer for the athletes if they just did not have to put themselves in that position.

The recommended amount of physical activity is around 60 minutes a day. The football team at North Allegheny High School practices around two and a half hours a day, varying on the day of the week. Phys. Ed. is 42 minutes every other day that extra 42 minutes can make athletes weak from 20 minute runs or trying hard in a team activity.

A lot of athletes have the attitude “I don’t need to try, I play a sport.” And get nothing out of gym class anyways. Athletes could focus more on academics not having to participate in gym. They could have a study hall to do their school work, which they do not have as much time for after school because of their after school sport.

Athletes who already know ways to better their future should not have to put themselves at risk of injury by participating in Phys. Ed. Athletes can prepare themselves and learn life lessons from coaches and important figures in their sport. Inspiration would not be needed from Phys. Ed. for Athletes.

Sincerely,

Matt S.

I am a Junior at North Allegheny Highschool in pittsburgh PA i play football baseball and basketball. and i know from personal experience and from talking to other kids that no one like gym class.

kjeezy10 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

"Control what you can control"

Summary   The author believes that nobody likes gym class, but everybody loves to do sports.  He believes that physical education is a waste of time, but then again some people say that is important for future life endeavors.   Response               I agree that Physical Education classes are pointless especially for kids involved in athletics because they already get their daily exercise in games and practices.  I can relate because I’m active in sports and when I took gym class I thought it was stupid since I was already getting the exercise I need in practices and games.  I understand where the author is coming from because gym class is a waste of time for people involved in athletics.  I see the same dilemma at Ayersville because many people don’t want to take gym class, since they are in athletics.  These people keep a journal of all their hours, so they can get gym credit.  I wish I had done that instead of taking physical education.

Bookwizard PLATINUM, Watertown, New York

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back it was always yours, if it doesn't it never was.

I understand hat you are trying to say but I think you have it all wrong. As a fellow athlete myself I want to agree with you. I play basketball and track. But as a student with 109 classmates I don't think it would be fair. You don't beneifit from P.E but some people actually enjoy it. They like the time they get to spend with friends and do the activities that the coaches have for them. Also maybe the habits may be useless to you because you already know them but if you haven't noticed there are a lot of obease kids out ther and P.E may actually help them.

on Apr. 17 2011 at 12:00 am
Why not get your P.E. credit waved?

windows 7 said...
i agree with matt i got injured becuz of gym class

tayyarcan said...
on Mar. 25 2011 at 1:49 am
Matt, i don't agree. If you want to be a good athlete, you can't do that easily. You have to work harder. And i think P.E lessons are helping you. You cannot be successful without taking risks. Yes it can be too hard for you but you should try as much as you can.

SundanceKid SILVER, Hailey, Idaho

Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get. -Forest Gump

Matt,

I am trying to make PE classes optional for athletes at my high school as i run cross country and Nordic ski and i feel the same way. Is it ok if i use this article to prove my point?

HAWKEYESTATE4ever, Clive, Iowa

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." -William Shakespeare

Yeah, kids aren't obese enough today. We need to think of a way to cut out the only physical activity they probably receive on a daily basis. 

me2! I LOVED THIS ARTICLE!

on Apr. 30 2010 at 10:26 am
Matt, i completly agree...hope your cute :)

1 article 0 photos 1 comment
This article is excellent! i love this kids ideas