No Gym | Teen Ink

No Gym

September 21, 2009
By Matt Steinbeck BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Matt Steinbeck BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Dear Editor:

Everybody loves sports, especially high school sports, but nobody likes gym class. If you are an in season athlete, physical education just seems a waste of time.

Some people may say Phys. Ed. is what the students need to prepare themselves for future habits. I veto this opinion and say that athletes already know excellent ways to stay healthy later on in life. Robert Steinbeck of Pittsburgh McNaugher, shared that he tries to teach his students responsibility and ways to keep healthy but also mentioned that the athletes he coaches learn ways to stay fit by doing the workouts with their team.

Being an athlete myself, when I have gym I’m always scared of getting hurt. Gym teachers always try to push the students to work their hardest, but on a game day for an athlete they could be tired or even get hurt in class. It would be safer for the athletes if they just did not have to put themselves in that position.

The recommended amount of physical activity is around 60 minutes a day. The football team at North Allegheny High School practices around two and a half hours a day, varying on the day of the week. Phys. Ed. is 42 minutes every other day that extra 42 minutes can make athletes weak from 20 minute runs or trying hard in a team activity.

A lot of athletes have the attitude “I don’t need to try, I play a sport.” And get nothing out of gym class anyways. Athletes could focus more on academics not having to participate in gym. They could have a study hall to do their school work, which they do not have as much time for after school because of their after school sport.

Athletes who already know ways to better their future should not have to put themselves at risk of injury by participating in Phys. Ed. Athletes can prepare themselves and learn life lessons from coaches and important figures in their sport. Inspiration would not be needed from Phys. Ed. for Athletes.

Sincerely,


Matt S.


The author's comments:
I am a Junior at North Allegheny Highschool in pittsburgh PA i play football baseball and basketball. and i know from personal experience and from talking to other kids that no one like gym class.