A Whirlwind of Emotions/ My Soccer Journey | Teen Ink

A Whirlwind of Emotions/ My Soccer Journey

My love for the game of soccer is unimaginable. Over the years, I’ve been gifted with playing on some of the best teams, and in other times, I’ve not made the team I wished for. I’ve always had the ability to learn from my mistakes and to walk away from the field with a takeaway. Whether it was to try harder for the next or to aim for the bigger goal, I could always return with improvement from the last. While being given unique opportunities and accomplishing amazing things along the way, there is always room for growth. Getting motivation to do great like Alex Morgan has always surpassed, can not only lead me to bigger things for the future, but many amazing opportunities as well. This has shaped me into the player I am today, on and off the field. 

When I was younger, I wanted to try out for an olympic development program called ODP. It was a team based in New Hampshire, where the best of the best teams all played together as one. I was still young and didn’t expect much coming out of this, therefore I only went to one try out. This led to me unfortunately not making the team, however I wasn’t that upset about my overall results. If I were to try out again 4 years later, I think I would have brought more skill and knowledge to the program. The importance of this experience taught me to learn and grow more on the field and to improve for the future.

Following this opportunity, Wilmington Youth Soccer presented families and athletes with its own club team for the program. The team was called WFC standing for ‘Wilmington Futsal Club’ giving young athletes the chance to improve at the game on a higher level. I was in fifth grade when my friends and I decided this would be a great opportunity not to miss out on and took it immediately. At such a young age, my two best friends and I were voted to be the team captions of the team. This was a huge responsibility not only for me, but my two friends as well. Being one of the captions on the team was such a memorable and unforgettable moment. The significance of this experience taught me all, from showing my coaches I could take on this challenge, to setting good standards for my teammates. We ended up with medals and trophies to display around our rooms at the end of the season, symbolizing my team's hard work did pay off. Getting to be a part of something new for the youth soccer program most certainly was an experience to undergo and was definitely the boost to something bigger. 

After participating in WFC for quite some time, a new opportunity arose. Seacoast United Soccer Club (susc), is a competitive soccer club with a simple mission to advance the physical and social well-being of kids at all divisions through the soccer program. Joining this club in just the sixth grade is really where my passion for soccer started to evolve. While being a part of this club, I’ve been challenged with some of the toughest coaches I’ve ever had and possibly the hardest I have ever pushed myself to be the best. When first being introduced to the club, I was welcomed by a great group of girls, who I still know today. New coaches, more teammates, and non stop training, I’ve been placed to match even bigger competition; where my team right now is top in the state. I’ve learned so much from playing club over the years whether it’s my behavior on the field, my strengths or my weaknesses. Playing on a club team doesn’t only allow me to improve myself each and every week, but to also teach me that the love I have for the game is being shared with others who feel the same. 

Lastly, a big example of all this was trying out for high school soccer. All in all, I didn’t make the team I was hoping for. I was upset and frustrated at myself; bewildered like a person trying to solve a puzzle. Later on, I came to the realization that I was placed in the right spot and only being a freshman in highschool, I played more than most athletes my age would. Not only did this past season give me a special memory to hold for my freshman year, but to show me the importance to work even harder for next fall. 

These examples in my life highlight the different milestones I have withstanded. Whether these were ones with no good outcome, or ones with a celebration at the end. There’s always something to keep working for and that’s why I write the importance of this journey.

I've played soccer ever since I could walk and haven't looked back since. I love the game so much and can't wait to see what the future holds.