Substance of the Universe | Teen Ink

Substance of the Universe

November 23, 2011
By shunflower GOLD, Shamong, New Jersey
shunflower GOLD, Shamong, New Jersey
18 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
I’m seventeen and I’m crazy. My uncle says the two always go together. When people ask your age, he said, always say seventeen and insane.


We seem to live in a world where you are born and baptized into a whole list of beliefs and morals that make you ready to go to heaven someday, so long as you defend and follow them to your death - and in its own way, that’s good, that’s great; those beliefs and morals usually consist of valid life lessons, and things that make you a good person.

But I don’t believe in that list. Not because I believe it’s invalid or wrong, but because I’d rather prove it all on my own. I’d rather make mistakes and form opinions, morals, and beliefs based on experiences in my own life. I don’t need anyone to tell me what to defend and what to believe in - certainly not a book of scriptures by people that may or may not have been associated with a man named Jesus and a being called God.

Me, I’m concerned with substance. Not substantial evidence, like most atheists, but substance in every day life. The things that happen here are not in motion based on the decision of a higher being, but based on the destiny of the universe as it is made by us living, breathing creatures, moment by moment. We, the human race, are all the substantial evidence we need - miracles and tragedies exist because there is a balance that needs to be met, a balance our human nature has willed the world to provide.

I acknowledge the fact that I am disagreed with. I acknowledge that for some people, faith is a way of knowing and believing in your heart that there is a reason for everything unimaginable. And for others, faith is salvation, simply by definition of the word. And then there’s some where these things do not apply, and I do not judge or assume anything.

I am simply one person with faith in not having a faith. Whatever and wherever I’m destined for, I accept it with all of my morals and beliefs in my heart that we on earth are the creators of our past, present, and future - nothing more and nothing less.


The author's comments:
My own views on the world aren't new or unheard of, but I don't call myself an Atheist. This is a summary of me, spiritually.