Caught in the Middle | Teen Ink

Caught in the Middle

By OHlivia17 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania
OHlivia17 BRONZE, Lansdale, Pennsylvania

"Before I speak, I have something important to say" - Groucho Marx

I was raised in a very religious household, attending church every Sunday and singing in the choir. My mother works as the musical director and my dad could be heard frequently practicing his part for the small ensembles in the adult choir. I was always the kid who attended church camp in the summer with my friends, took part in the talent shows singing current Christian rock songs, and I even read my statement of faith on my confirmation day four years ago.
About two and a half years ago, my faith in the god that I believed was the answer to everything shattered. My father has cancer, more specifically a tumor called a chondrosarcoma that grows around part of his spinal cord. He has had it all throughout my childhood and I always knew it was a major health concern. Two and half years ago was when the condition finally caused him to become paralyzed from the waist down. This was when I really began to question what kind of god I was putting all my faith into. I prayed and prayed to him for years and was loyal and yet he took away part of my father. I was angry, and I still feel anger today.
Going back into the Bible and reading passages that, at a younger age I believed so highly in, I still feel confusion as to what I thought I was reading at the time. It feels to me that this “righteous and forgiving god” seems more like an abusive parent, never noticing or rewarding you when you do something good and yet taking away and threatening you when you sin. It feels to me now that the reason people worship god is mainly out of fear. Like if someone puts a gun up to your head and demands you to tell them you love them, what are you going to do? The answer is obvious: you’re going to say it only to save your own life.
Another point is the concept of God’s omniscience. If he knows everything that we are going to do, why punish us when we do these actions? And why give us free will if we are only going to be punished for utilizing it? The more I think of religion, the more I see the contradictions and inconsistencies. I sometimes wish I could believe again, and yet at the same time I feel better questioning and being skeptical than blindly believing and listening with no opinion of my own. I don’t know where I stand and right now that feels okay.

Elinapa BRONZE said...
Elinapa BRONZE, St. Paul, Minnesota

Do not Follw the crowd,follow what your guts tell you and you'll be satisfied with yourself later in life do it early when you're still a teenager

Oh just because someone you know is in pain doesn't mean that you should lose your faith in God! I don't think your dad would've wanted you to lose faith in God . I hope and pray that he gets better. Even as an observant Catholic I question my faith too! I always know and believe that God is out there to take care of you. Remember Jesus also calls you to accept pain as it is because Jesus himself had to endure some great pain too. I'm sure God has a good plan for you and your dad!

SomethingLikeFire BRONZE, Mchenry, Illinois
1 article 1 photo 47 comments

"Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?" -
-- The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

im kinda in a rough time right now, too and god isnt doing much to help it. i was having a lot of trouble in 6th grade because my two best freinds started to hate each other. i tried praying but it only got worse. what kind of god who stads for peace lets this kind of hate happen?

AngelGal07 GOLD, Ferndale, Washington

"If you do not love God then you do not know God for God is love" 1 John 4:8

i know how hard it is also but my faith hasnt disapear. my grandma died of cancer about five years ago and she was in her fiftys! yet at her death bed she accepted christ which is a joy to know.

also i've been through so much that if i hadnt accepted christ i would eather be in my grave or in really deep depression. Even though i've been through what kids should never have to deal with i'm still staying strong in christ.

i hope and pray that your father will get better. stay strong!

KellyR GOLD said...
KellyR GOLD, Richmond, Virginia

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.

well done. I loved it and agree.