Religion or Lack Thereof | Teen Ink

Religion or Lack Thereof

May 5, 2011
By abstractintensity PLATINUM, Denton, Texas
abstractintensity PLATINUM, Denton, Texas
23 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Let me first start off by acknowledging how important acceptance is. Acceptance of different people, different ideas, and different opinions is a huge deal to me. It just is.
But I’ve heard some things that are less than pleasing.
I'm Atheist. I make no attempt at hiding it, as I don't believe I should. I realize this is an unpopular opinion, but I refuse to alter my opinions to fit in. I just won't. I've yet to meet many Atheists in my lifetime (though it's been short), so when I do it comes as a surprise to me, because, well, we're a minority of sorts.
So many people have a problem with my religion, or lack thereof.
Today I was called ignorant, but not just me, Atheists in general. I was told that my opinion is wrong and that I'm going to burn in Hell because God will only save the believers. That is a completely different rant that I won't take part in. Religious debates are messy, from either side. My point is to not call out these anyone for their beliefs. On the contrary, actually. You see, I am more than happy to accept that you have a different opinion than I. I'll even go as far as to see it from your side, where, consequently, I can see your reasoning. I believe I should do that, I truly do. I honestly believe we should all make an effort to see another perspective, not change our mind, no, just see a different side.
This isn't the case. When I put myself out there to respect your opinion and your beliefs, I expect you to do the same. That's just a matter of respect. It really is.
I'd like to point out that you will never hear me say something like "You're wrong!" or "You're belief is stupid!" while in a debate or quarrel. That's what is so great about opinions. They can't be right or wrong, they're just opinions.
My point is that I'm not ignorant for having a different belief than you, and my opinion isn't wrong. You're not ignorant for having your belief, and your opinion isn't wrong. It never will be, and I accept that. Stop with the bigotry.
Frankly, I'm tired of being called ignorant and being attacked with hateful words because of a single belief. My religious views have nothing to do with the kind of person I am, so stop making it seem that way.
Where’s the love?