Oh, Media | Teen Ink

Oh, Media

May 19, 2016
By Anonymous

 Time. An occurrence that literally happens in the blink of an eye and is constantly ticking as you read this. Let’s date back to the 19th century; the emergence of propaganda and technology was just being developed. These tools were very persuading to the human mind and still are. It’s quite surprising that over time these advancements have started out as  tiny seeds being planted on the ground and gradually inserted with various artificial chemicals and growth hormones that have turned into an eerie brown tree, crackling its branches as it grows and constant veins moving every minute of every day. With Its leaves brightly colored constantly blinking and sucking the black poison this tree has to offer. And for those little leaves emerging on that tree, starting to slowly blink, well that is today’s younger generation.
          

The exposure that the media has offered toward its younger audience has been very superficial and just flat out wrong of what the world is like out there.  Many may say “Oh it’s no big deal, kids are kids and they need to figure it out for themselves”. Well yes, but to a certain extent… Would you say it’s  appropriate for your child, or a child you may know, to be exposed to “Reality “TV  and some of the love relationships that are displayed by it? Is it alright for them to pick up a fight on those networks half the time, people have no clue what really is? Or is it okay for a kid to be exposed to photo shopped images that are supposed to portray how they should look like when they grow up?
          

Let’s start with “reality” TV. Who even came up with the idea of this? It had to be people bored out their minds that decided they should just use a camera and start filming their own lives. Perhaps it was uploaded to a bunch of people with nothing else better to do and said “Hey! That’s funny I bet you could make good money by doing this!” Thus, reality TV became a thing. However, it’s become so twisted that creators collecting buckets of money decide to pick a handful of people, throw them into this HUGE house (usually by a beach or a private area) and are expected to find “The One” or have one rich person kiss and diss all of the people in the house until one of their choosing remains standing. (I’m talking to you bachelor and bachelorettes). A man from psychology today even stated: “The messages that popular culture sends us about success and failure--as communicated through the unreality of "reality" TV--are particularly destructive (Taylor, Jim).”
        

Next, would be the use of print media. By this, I mean magazines, and ads posted around on billboards or just around the city you live in. Magazines have to be one of the big ones though. Think about it, they may not seem an item that younger kids would pick up first, but they are EVERYWHERE you go. Grocery stores, gas stations, gift shops, and even your yearly or frequent appointments. With their eye catching titles, it reels you in as if you were bait. America’s Metal health channel suggests that “In recent survey by Teen People magazine, 27% of the girls felt that the media pressures them to have a perfect body,” and it has never been just toward girls and women it also states “One study suggests that an alarming trend in toy action figures' increasing muscularity is setting unrealistic ideals for boys much in the same way Barbie dolls have been accused of giving an unrealistic ideal of thinness for girls.” Even if an action figure isn’t commonly showed in a magazine, it’s quite close to that photo shopped celebrity on the cover of a magazine.
       

Finally, social networks now this somewhat ties into the exposure through print media. However, this time, YOU have control. The use of social networking has drastically changed the way in which we view society currently. And it has been quite recent that it is shaping the development of adolescents and how they interpret the way they should behave in the real world. There are TONS of pros and cons toward this section of the media but three major cons include: Lack of privacy, unreliable false information, and various situations that can affect your reputation. And it seems that this younger generation doesn’t seem to understand that.
           

Now, I’m saying all the negatives of social media what about the upside of it one might ask? Well, if one were to examine VERY closely there are some websites and TV shows that can help adolescents develop a strong foundation of skills based off of learning programs that are provided. Certain channels and websites include: PBS, the Discovery channel, Disney Junior, and coolmath-games. A great source mentioned that “Benefits depend on how old your child is, and what kind and quality of media your child is using (raisingchildren).” Another upside can include that with the use of social networking, it can be a form of a helpful tool to contact family or friends that don’t live very close. Or even to form new friendships with people all over the world.
            

In the end, it’s quite hard to control what current and younger generations are being exposed to. I firmly believe it should have been somewhat restricted or distributed in a better manner toward adolescents since the beginning. Because now, adolescents may realize their true selves a little too late and become the person they don’t want to be. And this will result due to all their time and energy wasted, trying to fit in and be socially accepted as “Normal”.

 

 


References:
• Taylor, Jim. "Popular Culture: Reality TV Is NOT Reality." Psychology Today. Sussex Publishers, 31 Jan. 2011. Web. May 2016.
•    "Media Beneifts for Children and Teenagers." Media Benefits for Children and Teenagers. Raising Children Network (Australia) Limited, 16 June 2015. Web. 2016
• "Eating Disorders: Body Image and Advertising - HealthyPlace." HealthyPlace. America's Mental Health Channel, 14 Jan. 2014. Web. May 2016.
• "Social Networking ProCon." ProCon Headlines. ProCon, 24 Mar. 2015. Web. 06 May 2016.
 


The author's comments:

I decided to write this partly for a grade, but mostly because it's one of the most controversial and modern topics we are dealing with today. And to me, it seems that kids younger than me are not realizing how the media they are exposed to is not the truth about their real lives.