History Repeats Itself: Myth or Fact? | Teen Ink

History Repeats Itself: Myth or Fact?

By Martial BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Martial BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

History.  Does history repeat itself or is it a myth? Historical records prove that history repeats itself. Throughout time, we have learned from our mistakes. We have learned what works and what does not work. For example, inventions have changed for the better, because inventors learned from their past errors. It can be argued that history repeats itself since it is authenticated in historical records, manifested in the predictions of historians, and validated in the decisions people make in their everyday life.

To start, historical records authenticate the fact that history repeats itself. The current rise in violence in Rwanda is reminiscent of the genocide that took place a dozen years ago (Ruxin).  Prior to this rise of violence in Rwanda, there was a previous genocide there. Once again, that demonstrates that history repeats itself. Connections between two events such as WWI and WWII can be found in historical records (Rauch). The connection between WWI and WWII is a great example of history repeating itself. Unfortunately, those countries involved in WWII didn’t learn a lesson from WWI to prevent a subsequent war. The disaster in Darfur is deepening, “At a time when the violence there is spiraling out of control (again) and aid workers trying to alleviate suffering are now being attacked (again)...” (Ruxin). The fact that history repeats itself is authenticated in the above quote by Ruxin. The use of the word “(again)” means that it happened previously, because “(again)” means recurring. Critics, however, do not accept the academic work of Ruxin and his colleagues as proof that history repeats itself. They debunk this by stating that the word repeat is inappropriately defined. However, historians such as Ruxin, an esteemed author for the New York Times, have authenticated the fact that history repeats itself in their many books and articles. Lastly, historical records show the genocide in Rwanda, the repetition of WWII shortly after WWI, and the deepening disaster in Darfur are all examples of history repeating itself.

To further illustrate, throughout time, historians have predicted the outcome of current events. According to Josh Ruxin from Columbia University, history repeats itself. Josh Ruxin is an author and historian who contends that history repeats itself. Historians like Josh Ruxin have made their predictions of current events from those of past events. The correctness of the predictions demonstrates that history repeats itself. When people claim that history repeats itself, generally speaking, they are thinking of cause and effect relationships, not exact replications (Pegoda). Pegoda is another historian and author, who has claimed that when people consider the idea that history repeats itself, they perceive it as a cause and effect relationship rather than an exact replication. In this sense, historians predict what will happen next. Pegoda writes, “BUT, if individuals consider “repeat” as both a metaphor and in terms of its connotation, society can understand what people mean by “history repeats itself,” and it actually emerges as a useful conceptual tool.” Historians, such as Pegoda, use the term “history repeats itself” as a conceptual tool to explain how present events are based on past events. Other experts analyze historical events not as predictors, but as conceptual tools to enhance our understanding of current events. Nevertheless, historians have frequently made correct predictions of current events based on past events. They use historical events to explain what is happening at the present time. As shown, the concept that history repeats itself is manifested in the predictions of historians such as Ruxin and Pegoda.

Additionally, “History repeats itself” is validated in the decisions that people make in their everyday lives. According to Pegoda, “As historians, humanity can and should use the real meanings behind notions that history repeats to help students enjoy and embrace the study of our world.” People make decisions everyday based on events that took place in the past. They use these past events to make future decisions. Rauch claims “Historians repeat themselves.” Another author and historian, Rauch, agrees that events in history repeat themselves because people make decisions based on past events over and over again. From Rwanda’s post genocide experience the people in Darfur are rebuilding their lives. Ruxin asserts “... the nation and its people are struggling to move forward, under a standard of rough, pragmatic, close-enough justice.” Once again, after another genocide, nations struggle to rebuild their cities and their lives. In Darfur, people endeavor to make decisions and build a standard of living after suffering massive destruction. Those who do not believe that history repeats itself claim that the genocide in Rwanda and the genocide in Darfur are two independent events and the individuals involved are not connected. But, the people of current day Darfur, who have suffered the same genocide as those in Rwanda, are attempting to rebuild their lives despite the enormous destruction brought on by the genocide. Therefore, through incidents in Rwanda and Darfur, the historians, Pegoda, Rauch, and Ruxin, demonstrate that decisions people make in their everyday lives validate that history repeats itself.  

To say that history repeats itself is a myth, is an injustice to human events. Historical records have verified that history repeats itself. Throughout the history of mankind, this repetition of historical events has been illustrated in the forecasts of historians and confirmed by the choices individuals have made in their daily lives. If more attention was paid to past historical events, perhaps people would not repeat the same mistakes that led to such atrocious results as the repetition of wars throughout history. As Ruxin points out in his article about the crisis and genocide in Darfur today, “... this broadening of violence, the rising stench of history repeating itself is in the air.”