Holocaust Reflection | Teen Ink

Holocaust Reflection

By Adam Gotlin GOLD, New City, New York
Adam Gotlin GOLD, New City, New York

In 1920 the Nazi Party was born. By 1921 the Nazi Party named Adolph Hitler as its party leader. By the 1930's Hitler was traveling Germany and its neighboring territories spreading propaganda and making powerful speeches about his beliefs. Before the world knew it, Hitler rose to a dictatorial power in Germany and began the Holocaust. Using his powerful and intimidating speeches and propaganda, he convinced the German Aryan society that they were a superior race and that other races, such as Jews and gypsies, were inferior to them. Following Hitler and his beliefs, the Nazi Party and the German government killed over 6,000,000 Jews and ended a total of 11,000,000 lives.

The Holocaust is known as the ultimate example of man's inhumanity to man. But how did it all happen? Why wasn't it stopped? The truth is, Hitler had an ingenious systematic plan of how to engrave opinions into the minds of German civilians and convince the world nothing was going wrong. During the 1934 Olympics in Belgium, Hitler took down all signs of hate and showings of what was really going on. The world left the Olympics with the impression that nothing significant was happening in Germany. The world did eventually react to the problem in Germany, but it was too late. The world reacted late enough for Hitler and his regime to execute more than 11,000,000 innocent people.

Preventing a repeat Holocaust is a paramount issue in society today. Spreading democracy is one of the greatest actions we could take to prevent another Holocaust. In a democracy it is much harder for an individual or a specific party to gain complete control of a government like Hitler did, only 70 years ago. Another step towards stopping a repeat Holocaust is increased communication. Increased international awareness will help to prevent the world from experiencing a second disastrous genocide.