Homeschooling | Teen Ink

Homeschooling

January 8, 2016
By Kenzied BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Kenzied BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have a cousin who is currently being homeschooled. I feel that she is a little more antisocial than others because she’s being homeschooled by her mother. Also, when i talk to her she barely talks back she talks very quiet, I believe this is caused by her not socializing with anyone but her parents and siblings.

 

I believe children should not be homeschooled by their parents because its causes lack of socialization, and if there are any educational shortcomings the parent takes the blame, also some parents just don't have enough educational background to teach their children.


To begin my first reason, is that if you make a mistake with your child's education that's all on you. According to writer, homeschooling mom kris bales who says”if there are any shortcomings real or perceived in your child’s education, you’re probably going to get the blame.Could you really live with that the rest of your life? “if the child is homeschooled and has an educational shortcoming the parents values could be taken from them” this could cause many issues within your family and can also cause your relationship with your child to suffer. She goes on to say in another quote that “homeschooling means that all the stuff you, might like to blame on the teacher will be resting squarely on your shoulders”.That's a lot of pressure for an individual.(“Parenting Advice, Activities for Children, Family Games & Recipes - FamilyEducation.com”)

My second reason, i believe parents should not homeschool their kids, is because how do you know if you yourself have the right educational background to teach your child what they need to know. “I want my kids to have a great education and i am not sure if i could teach my kids algebra since my algebra teacher mr. johnson would throw erasers at me! I personally agree with this even though I don’t know much about homeschooling I do know that you need an educational background. How would you teach your children something you weren’t good at?(“Samluce.com”)


Another thing  to think about is how will you afford to homeschool?  most parents when they homeschool they leave their career behind and give everything up to stay home with their children to homeschool. “Ideally in a two parent home, one of the parents work while the other devotes time to homeschooling. In order to homeschool their kids, one of the parents usually forgo full-time employment”  this can hurt the family's finances.(Bales and Hutchinson)


My final reason is, the child will have no one to socialize with other than their siblings and parents.  “Schools are so violent all children should be homeschooled”. all schools are not violent also if every child is homeschooled who would work to support the families. “Homeschooling limits socialism”. I don't agree with that i feel that kids need to socialize and meet other people their age to prepare them for real life. “in today's society homeschooling helps with safety. This is somewhat true,but your home could also be a safety hazard.Although some of these arguments are very smart to think about you also have to think about the other facts


in conclusion, parents should not homeschool their children because if something is wrong with the child the parent takes blame, the parent might not have enough educational background, it's a lot of work, I believe children should not be homeschooled by their parents. overall, after reading all the information i also am a believer in public school vs homeschooling.

 


Work cited
Bales, Kris, and Alicia Hutchinson. “Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers - Honest. Quirky. Real. Practical Tips, Candid Reviews, and Stereotype-Smashing Humor for Homeschooling Families.” Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.
“Parenting Advice, Activities for Children, Family Games & Recipes - FamilyEducation.com.” N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.
“Samluce.com.” samluce.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.