Police Riots | Teen Ink

Police Riots

June 7, 2015
By acary BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
acary BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A current controversial issue within the United States is the use of violence by Police against criminals and suspects. Many citizens believe that certain actions taken by Police, such as firing at the criminal, are cruel and unnecessary. In certain cases this may be true; however, if the criminal poses as a potential threat to the Police or other citizens around then it is the duty of the Police to take whatever action necessary to protect themselves and those around, even if that means firing at the criminal. Police violence is necessary for three reasons, for self-defense, to protect the citizens and to control the situation.

 

The work of a police officer is a dangerous job. Officers have to make split-second decisions when in extreme circumstances. Studies have shown that even the well-trained officers are not always able to fire their weapon before the criminal holding their gun can raise theirs and shoot first. In 2013, 49,851 police officers were assaulted while on duty, and 27 of them were murdered that year (Journalists Resource, 2015). Just like any other U.S citizen, police officers have the right to self-defense. If they are being shot at are they just supposed to stand there and let the suspect shoot them? If you put any citizen in that situation, I’m sure that they would use self-defense as well. For example, in 7th grade this girl in my P.E. class got angry because I accidentally hit her in the head with a ball. She started to shove me and then started throwing punches. I didn’t want to fight; however, I wasn’t just going to stand there and let her hit me, so I defended myself. Same goes for any citizen as well as police officers. A policeman isn’t just going to stand there in front of a criminal holding gun and do noting. So why are the police getting attacked by angry protestors? On thing the protestors need to understand is that the suspect was not innocent.


Not only do police officers have to protect themselves, but they also have to protect the citizens. America has a relatively high homicide rate compared to other nations and the numbers keep increasing each year (Journalists Resource, 2015). It is the duty of the police to put a stop to this action before it happens, and if not possible, then it’s their job to catch the suspect who is responsible. If the suspect is caught in the action and has a gun or any other potentially dangerous weapon and is shown as a threat in any way, then the officer must stop the suspect. If the suspect resists then the officer must do whatever it takes to put the surrounding people out of harms way. Although, the police don’t want to have to shoot anyone, sometimes it is necessary in extreme cases. If the criminal in this situation is of a different race, such as African American, many protest that is an act of racism; however, policemen are not racist. The outcome would have been the same if the criminal were white. According to Michael Levin, the police officer doesn’t decide to use violence one a person based on their skin color. The police officer doesn’t use any harsher punishment on the black criminal then he does on the white criminal; they are seen as equal. The only thing the police consider is the danger of that person (Michael  Levin, 64). While most policemen are not racist, there are still a few police officers that are racist but they only make up a small percent.


In result of several incidents where police used force, countless riots have broken out in protest along with a great deal of violence. Numerous protests and riots have gotten out of hand and the police had to get involved. When these situations get out of control, it’s the duty of the police officers to take control of the situation. For example, Protests in Baltimore over Freddie Gray's unexplained death while in police custody from a fatal spine injury turned violent. Protests became violent about after a week of the incident. Police were then brought in to control the situation (Reason.com, 2015). In extreme cases, policemen have to use violence to break up the riots and restore peace. If the situation gets out of control, they must do whatever means necessary to regain control.


Although I do not condemn the violence, I also do not support it. However, I understand that in the means of self-protection, the protection of citizens and controlling the situation that violence by the police may be necessary. While some argue that police brutality is a serious problem, I believe that the extent of police brutality is exaggerated. The Police have a tough job and often deal with many unhappy people, but that is the price they have to pay for harming one to protect the people.


Work Cited
"Excessive or Reasonable Force by Police? Research on Law Enforcement and Racial Conflict in the Wake of Ferguson." Journalists Resource. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 May 2015.

Cothran, Helen. Police Brutality: Opposing Viewpoints. San Diego, CA: Greenhaven, 2001. Print.

Rioting Is a Threat to Public Safety. Police Unions Are a Worse One." Reason.com. N.p., 27 Apr. 2015. Web. 23 May 2015.