The Need to Name | Teen Ink

The Need to Name

By Ginger33 BRONZE, Wayzata, Minnesota
Ginger33 BRONZE, Wayzata, Minnesota

According to the Non GMO Project, genetically modified organisms were present “in over 80% of all conventionally processed foods,” in the United States in 2012.  Furthermore, nutrition specialists seem to have reached a unanimous consensus that these unnatural organisms can only worsen the health disaster that the United States is already facing.  So, when faced with the decision, if it is right to ban all genetically modified organisms from United States’ markets, it only seems right that, for the time being, all unnatural foods are clearly labeled as potentially dangerous.  However, to date, there are no federal laws mandating the labeling of genetically modified organisms sold in United States supermarkets.  That seems somewhat odd when, according to the Non GMO Project, “in more than 60 countries around the world, including Australia, Japan, and all of the countries in the European Union, there are significant restrictions or outright bans on the production and sale of GMOs” yet the United States does not even mandate the labeling of these controversial organisms.

If the reason for this clear oversight was thought to be the consumer, that is clearly and simply not true.  In 2012 the Mellman Group conducted a poll of their readers on whether they thought genetically modified organisms should be labeled in the foods that they were consuming and discovered “that 91% of American consumers wanted GMOs labeled” in their foods.  In wondering what the delay in labeling is due to, the answer is not found in the consumer but rather in the producer.  In a modern free market and society, once again the large corporations are having their way in the food department due to a lack of unity on the part of the consumer.  As Consumers look for ways to change the egregious faults in the system they can draw on the message presented through the form of a single ape in The Rise of the Planets  “one ape weak, many apes strong,” and find greater hope to stand together in the fight for GMO labeling.  

I hope that this article will force a greater population to think about the potential helath risk of our current food choices.