A Greater Desire | Teen Ink

A Greater Desire

March 25, 2015
By dgiddings BRONZE, Sabula, Iowa
dgiddings BRONZE, Sabula, Iowa
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Over summer vacation I experienced long, dreadful days with nothing to do but sit on the couch and read.  Now, I am not saying reading is a terrible hobby; in fact, reading is a great way to pass time.  Once you find a book that makes you feel a thousand different emotions at once, it is impossible to put it down; so, you never stop reading.  I read like the world depended on it, but then my eyes started hurting and I managed to get a headache.  Did I put the book down?  No way!  I kept on reading farther and farther until I could not handle it anymore.  Reading was my drug, and I was the naïve addict. 


Everyone, in some point of their life, becomes an addict to a “drug” of choice.  These do not have to be actual drugs; they could be gummy bears, books, pizza, and/or sleep.  Just because you believe you are not an addict to soap operas, does not mean that you are not.   An indulgence can quickly become an addiction, and you may not even realize you have a problem when, in fact, you do.


An addiction to “drugs” can cause severe consequences for the addict; have you ever seen My Strange Addiction?  Yeah, it gets weird.  So, you may not be addicted to eating toilet paper or your hair, but you still probably are addicted to something.  The first step is admitting you have a problem.  Do not attempt to justify your actions, and deny that there is anything wrong.  Addicts can have major and minor addictions, but the actions made still have consequences. 


How do I know I am an addict?  It is possible you are an addict if you are constantly craving your “drug” and deny that you use it too much.  Is my addiction causing a problem?  It is possible that by being an addict, physical and mental harm could be caused, and you could be complicating relationships around you.  Merriam-Webster’s definition of an addict is stated clearly:


1. A person who is not able to stop taking drugs : a person who is addicted to drugs
2. A person who likes or enjoys something very much and spends a large amount of time doing it, watching it, etc.

The world of addiction has no boundaries and any individual could have an addiction on their own terms.


Attention Addicts
“People can become addicted to fame, money, and attention as deeply as they become addicted to drugs.” DENNIS PRAGER


The attention addict is one who simply loves the spotlight.  We all know an individual who needs to perform actions just so others will view their desperate acts.  Movies showcase this act quite often as actresses purposely fall into ones arms just to gain yet another admirer.  Usually outrageous acts like this are used to gain male or female attention, but famous individuals sometimes perform risqué actions to earn a spot on the latest tabloid.
A few years ago, the world nearly exploded when Lindsey Lohan stepped out of her car while wearing no undergarments.  Conveniently for her, the paparazzi were swarming.  Another picture on a magazine means more money for her.  People just like this will take any chance they get to be included in the spotlight.  Whether it is in the movies or in high school, attention addicts do surely exist.  Sure, not all of these individuals perform such crazy actions, but they still will cry at the occasional pencil drop and continue on to create an academy award winning performance to go along with it. 


Social Media Addicts
“Why are we so addicted to social media?  Because, our limbic system is craving for rewards, pleasure, acceptance and expansion through mind.” ? SAURABH SHARMA
When Twitter first arose to a popular status, everyone was using it as founders described.  Sadly, this means users were, in fact, tweeting their every movement; whether they were walking their dog or sitting at their deceased family member’s gravesite, they were sharing it.  Have you seen this before?  Chances are high considering the forms of social media begin to grow each day, and new versions of technology allow us to connect with them.  Being a social media addict includes a variety of symptoms though, such as the desire to constantly check the current newsfeed. 


Last night, I had homework to do and chores to complete.  What did I do?  I sat on the couch and stared into my phone’s screen as I hit the refresh button and scrolled on repeat.  Let me tell you something, hitting the refresh button after two seconds does not do much.  Sure, a new tweet may arrive, but re-reading the same thirty six previous tweets are not going to do much good.  An addict is someone who could spend at least two hours hitting the refresh button and feel complete.  If you ever stop at a high school, look into a classroom and be amazed at the sight of how many students are on their social media accounts rather than listening to the teacher.  Students are not so guilty though; I cannot even tell you how many times a substitute teacher has come in and sat on their Facebook account for the entire period.  Then again, even some families cannot put their phones down at the dinner table because someone was tweeting at them.

Netflix Addicts

 

  “Do you have any Netflix suggestions for me?”  The go to question for Netflix users everywhere.  Have you heard it before?  I could bet that I have heard or seen that question at least one hundred times in just the last year.  When you watch complete seasons of Friends in a twenty-four hour period, I can guarantee that you have started your journey on the long road of Netflix addiction.


Teens are probably one of the worst users due to our inconvenient lack of motivation.  The most difficult time for an addict is during a break or summer vacation.  I could not count the number of  TV series and movies I watched the past summer, probably because my head is still trying to work through the latest Grey’s Anatomy episode.  Sometimes though, this addiction can cause the urge to skip events due to the time they have already invested into their show or movie.  If you feel like Netflix is worth more of your time than your social life, you have an addiction.  Unfortunately, this addiction can cause health issues and can harm someone both physically and mentally such as, eye trouble, headaches, and lack of energy.  Netflix addiction is not to be taken lightly due to the health risks involved. 


Shopping Addicts
“When I shop, the world gets better, and the world is better, but then it's not, and I need to do it again.
(Confessions of a Shopaholic-the movie)” SOPHIE KINSELLA


Do you tend to buy numerous amounts of items in short amounts of time?  This is a shopping addict’s worst quality.  The movie Confessions of a Shopaholic showcases exactly what it means to be addicted, and makes it quite obvious what the “symptoms” are.  In the movie, the main character shops quite often and owns numerous amounts of clothing and accessories which she had spent a large amount of her life purchasing.  Unfortunately for her, she lost her source of income and could not keep up with her lavish lifestyle.  In conclusion, no money equals no more continuation of purchasing items that are not needed. 


This already seems costly, but the need that you feel causes strain emotionally.  If I had the choice, I would shop all day whether I needed the item or not.  To constantly feel this need and desire for the latest trending item is not healthy.  Extreme Couponing is a show that captures what it means to be a shopping addict.  Individuals go to the store after hours of preparing for the trip and then continue to spend several hours in the store.  This is the life of an addict.  These people would rather spend their day planning their trip and shopping than do anything else.  Half of the people on the show, at one point, admit that shopping gives them a high.  Shopping is indeed their drug.


Drug Addicts
“The fear of the drugs running out is manageable-the fear of time running down isn't.”
 ANN MARLOWE


This type of addict defines what it means to be addicted.  Drug addicts have the most difficult battle, due to the way their drug of choice affects their body.  An addict always has the opportunity to stop their addiction but this drug takes control of their life.  Ray Charles was one of the most famous jazz musicians and even he was an addict.  He struggled with his addiction and was constantly causing trouble because the heroin he used changed his mindset.  Did he try to stop?  When he finally went to rehab, he suffered horribly because the drug had claimed his every being. 


Drug addicts could have the willpower to quit or they could just let the drug consume their life.  The news is filled with stories of death caused by overdose, and the individuals who passed had no control to stop their actions.  Drug addiction is severe in every way and it can destroy a human’s mental and physical functions because the drug itself is not in their head.  A drug addict must have the power and know when to draw the line.
“Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol, morphine or idealism.” –C.G. Jung
Addicts, of course, have many choices of “drug” and these are only a few out of the numerous types.  One of the most important skills an addict needs to possess is willpower or their addiction will soon take over.  Obviously not all addicts face the same problems, but it does not change the fact that they face addiction and they do have a problem.


When will enough be enough?  When will they realize the problem is real? When will they get better?  All of these questions come to mind when discussing the topic of addicts and some questions are meant to be unanswered.  An addict has to realize they have a problem on their own or else they will not take it seriously. After all, the first step to overcoming addiction is to admit you have a problem.


If you are an addict, face your drug head on. Get rid of Netflix, limit your spending, focus on someone other than yourself, and never give up.  Addicts can overcome anything as long as they fight through their toughest battles.

Works Cited
“Addict.”  Merriam Webster.  2015. Web.  13 March 2015.