Is Earth Overpopulated | Teen Ink

Is Earth Overpopulated

By Maxwell1033 BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin
Maxwell1033 BRONZE, Mauston, Wisconsin

Is Earth overpopulated?

Have you ever stopped and realized that 7.125 billion people live on Earth? Most people say thats not that much. But when you stop and look at the facts you're mistaken. Two years is a lot of time right? Well imagine yourself spending two years of your life counting to 7 billion, crazy right? Right now there are people going hungry and having to walk for miles for fresh water, and the population is only growing. 

The weird thing is it happened so fast. According to a study in 1950 the world population was 2.5 billion, now we have 4.5 billion more people in less that 100 years, what happened? Think about this, 4.45 people are born every second. Thats 384 thousand born and 156 thousand die every day. Thats means on average the world population increases by 229 thousand every day. If you were to do the math, the net increase every year is 83.6 million.

Thats gaining about one United States every 4 years. In some places thats a big problem. Who knows how much longer Earth can support us when we're growing so rapidly and the numbers are this high? We’ll have to pioneer new ways of living in fields like farming and housing for people, and we'll have to figure out what to do when our natural gas runs out? Its up to our generation to find those new ways of engineering. But the question is can we do it?