I Believe That... | Teen Ink

I Believe That...

September 11, 2014
By Anonymous

"Riss, how does a hike sound, this Sunday after mass?" my dad hollered from the living room.

Hiking is one of my favorite hobbies- I love to explore and I love to exercise. I get a little skeptical however, when my dad asks me to go with him; he is undoubtedly that nature-and-God-obsessed hiker that has to stop every few minutes to embrace God’s creations. I always accept my dad’s invitation though, because declining father-daughter time would be frowned upon, and because declining a great workout would be even more frowned upon.

"Yeah dad, cool! Sunday sounds great" I called.        

That Sunday came, a gorgeous day in September of 2012. The sun was still strong from the summer winding down, peering in on my dad and me through the trees. The gentle breeze granted us a break from the warmth.  We arrived at the base of one of our favorite trails, which was hidden by a couple of monster weeping hemlocks. Beside the entrance, about 50 yards away, was a small white house lost behind a plethora of wildflowers. I gazed at the garden and admired its pleasant haphazardness. But what really caught my eye was a half fallen, worn out piece of wood stuck in the middle of the overgrown garden.

It was a small sign painted with a quote, with chipped white letters proving difficult to read. I was curious, so I meandered over to get a better look. The sign read: "A tree blooms and will give the world air to breathe, a river flows and will give the world water to drink, a human lives and shall give the world love and support."

I liked the quote- I found it very poetic and light, but yet I knew it had a deep meaning. With the verse whispering in my head, I repeated it to my dad, who was waiting patiently at the entrance. He smiled and nodded, and told me that it was certainly very meaningful and important in today's world. I pondered the quote as we started to walk the trail.

It all makes sense- nature is full of nurturing. Water helps the whole world- it houses fish, it hydrates humans and animals, and it also serves as a satisfying drink for all types of plants.  Similar to water, plants and trees shelter different bugs and animals and, more importantly, release O2 for everyone to respire. I marveled at this idea, appreciating every tree and stream we passed.

Because nature serves the world, it only makes sense that humans should also serve the world. This could range from the proverbial “one good deed a day” all the way to volunteering for major service trips across the globe. This belief has been stamped in bold letters in my brain ever since that hike on that pleasant Sunday afternoon.

I am constantly looking for people to help, whether it be at school, work, or a random public place. I have been searching high and low for service opportunities that can help the environment, the elderly and the hungry. I am volunteering with a group from school in Arizona for a week to help people in need. I am also traveling on a mission trip to Nicaragua next summer to care for disabled orphans. One of my greatest goals in life is to join the Peace Corps- so that I can dedicate my life to volunteering around the world, in the hope that I can make a difference in people’s lives. Humans everywhere are in dire need - and I believe that it is my job to help. “Love and support” should be spread so thick around the globe- so incredibly thick that the planet would glow in happiness and peace.  

In short, I believe that we are on this earth to help one another. This belief will take me far; I strive to make a positive impact on people’s lives around the world. As for that beautiful September afternoon, it was the most contemplative and most memorable hike to this day. My mind was flooded with new outlooks on life, all geared towards helping and serving others. I could not be more thankful for my sheer curiosity that afternoon as I was squinting at the old faded sign- the sign that changed my life.