Two Child Policy | Teen Ink

Two Child Policy

April 18, 2014
By Jennifer Austin BRONZE, Molalla, Oregon
Jennifer Austin BRONZE, Molalla, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The population is constantly expanding. There are more than seven billion people on earth, and that number is steadily growing. With 238,000 new people added every day, we are pushing the earth to it's breaking point. The planet can't produce the amount of resources we need to survive, leading to more and more poverty each year.

Since the beginning of this year (2014) more than 900,000,000 have been undernourished. 18,000 people have died of hunger today, so far. This is because there is not enough food to go around, and even if there was, the prices are skyrocketing.

With this many people on earth, everything is a commodity. Prices are constantly rising, for food, for gas and oil, for housing, for everything. Even raising a child is becoming too expensive for many families to bear.

There are more than 400,000,000 abandoned children worldwide every year. They live on the streets, they live in orphanages. They were abandoned by their parents because they were unwanted, or unaffordable. It doesn't have to be this way. There is hope for a better, brighter future.

If the world were to adopt a two child policy (similar to China's one child policy), we could lower the population to a sustainable amount in a matter of years. There would be no poverty, no starvation, no unaffordable living, and no abandoned children.

Here's how it would work: Each family would have a maximum of two children, however, they could have additional children for a small fee. This would be a world-wide, internationally supported policy, resulting in a world-wide decrease in population. As the population decreases, so would the number of orphans, the environment would flourish, as would the global economy. There would be more jobs, lower prices, and a better chance of getting educated. Our world would be a better, healthier place.

Having less people would result in less illness, lower crime rates, and better relationships. Certainly, there are people who would disagree with this policy. They may argue that the policy is 'unfair', or that it would take too long to take effect, however, these people don't seem to realize the positives greatly out-weight the negatives.

This policy wouldn't last forever. If it were applied for just 30 years, the world population would be lowered by 1,000,000,000 people. Even this small change in total population would result in a noticeable improvement in quality of life for everyone.

The two child policy would be a drastic change, but the rewards would create a better, healthier, happier planet. Together we can change the world.