Violence doesn't stay on the screen | Teen Ink

Violence doesn't stay on the screen

By Mimi.... BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Mimi.... BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Hmmm...

Imagine an innocent boy walking on a street full of human beings, as confused as he is. Don’t know what they’re doing. Suddenly, a deep, computer generated voice echoed around everyone, “There is one gun in each house on this street behind every door. Streets will be closed, and only one can leave after 48 hours.” When people finally realized what this means from the astonishment it brought them, they started racing for guns in each houses, violence can not be prevented. With everyone shooting at each other for survival, he realized by the end of this, he had to be only one surviving if he don’t want to die. What can he do? Hide in a corner hoping that no one realizes he’s there? Or kill everyone else to be the only survivor?
That sounds irritating. Don’t worry, it’s just a game, even if it’s violent, it is not real. What we see on the screen, stays on the screen.
Really?
Not really.

When I was younger, I heard a lot of stories about violent games, and stories about what happened to kids that got addicted to them. “There’s a kid in China brought violent games in real life. Grabbing a gun, and shooting random people on the street, like in any kind of shooting games.” My mother once said. It didn’t seem realistic, but I think it is totally possible. A survey taken in 2011 shows that, 92% of American kids play video games, 63% of them play violent games.
One of my friend in China, with good grades, was a big fan of violent games. He used to be very addicted to them. Using all his homework time, sports time, and sleeping time to play that kind of game. His mother, feeling clueless and worried, had to shutdown the internet for 3 months.

But, why do kids play violent games? How is it addicting? Aren't there a lot other kinds of game to play?
Studies say that violent games takes worries away while harming people in games, without actually having to do anything harmful in real life.
Evan Ramsey, a former student in Alaska high school, who killed two and wounded two in school using gun. After, he got a penalty of 198 years. That means spending his whole entire life in jail.
Why is he doing this? No one is born bad, is it the bad influences that caused this crime?
“I did not understand that if I…pull out a gun and shoot you, there’s a good chance you’re not getting back up,” he said.
Not everyone get affected like that. But who knows that Violent games, fun and addicting, is actually really bad for kids?
There is a lot more disadvantages to violent games than just “Make believe situations”.
Laura St. John, a chief marketing officer at Discovery Kids Puterbugs, Summarized four significant issues with kids playing violent games.
1. Kids who play violent games despise woman. Majority Ultra-violent games feature violence towards women, games can teach kids habits. So kids who play violent games are more likely to abuse, and disrespect women.
2. There is a lot of inappropriate sexual contents in violent games. No one wants their child to watch a R-rated Movie, same idea.
3. Violent games involve a l0t of killing, which is a quick way of desensitize killing, which make kids think that killing a person is not a big deal.
4. Violent games have bad words that is not appropriate for kids, and no parents want their kid to learn bad words through games.

But even if there is a lot bad effects for violent games, according to the survey of RAUC 8th grade section 1 ELA class, only 6 students don’t play violent games out of 21 students.
By asking RAUC 8th grade Social Studies and ELA teacher. I noticed that most kids play violent games when they’re young. Mr. Saveriano, our 8th grade ELA teacher, thinks that violent game is a way of entertaining, and it is not bad when the parents are doing there job of taking care of their kid. But this issue happened to both Mr. Saveriano, and Mr. Trainor, When they’re young, they played violent games instead of focusing on their school work. Their grade dropped as it goes. So Mr. Saveriano thinks that violent games are bad when spending time on it too much.
Most people know that violent games are bad, but they think it is fun. This also proves my point that violent games are a way of releasing pressure. That’s why people would rather play violent games instead of other kinds of games.
Are playing violent games really worth it? They are very addictive, once you start them. With this amount of harmfulness, is there a way to redeem this situation?
Parents possess a big influence. If parents encourage their kids a lot, kids won’t have way too much stress that needs to be relieved through violent games. If Parents limit the amount of video/ computer games time, kids won’t get addicted as easily. If parents spend time with kids more, kids won’t play violent games as much because of the love and caringness parents brought them.
However, kids can change this by themselves. They can use their time to do a lot other activities that is amusing and positive at the same time. Such as doing sports, reading, writing, or drawing. Even asking for a pet can remove the addiction to violent games. Also, kids will be able to develop a good habit instead of playing harmful violent games. Kids who play violent games, don’t blame others when “side effects” of violent games happen to you. With persistence, you can make a difference.