Trick or Treat Or Trick or Don't | Teen Ink

Trick or Treat Or Trick or Don't

By Stevee1234 BRONZE, Belleview, Florida
Stevee1234 BRONZE, Belleview, Florida

There is only do or don't, there is no try.

How do kids know when they should give up trick or treating? Do parents even know when? Going through life, children have to give up many things that they grow too old for. It’s just a part of life. The question is, are kids as willing to give up holidays? Young kids may not realize that one day they will have to give up this wonderful tradition.

Elementary schools let the kids wear their costumes to school and go to classrooms to collect candy. It seemed like a good idea then, but how about now? When kids can’t do it anymore it’s not fun to see the younger kids come in. Most children create a cushion that they will not have to stop trick or treating because it’s a holiday. When the thought comes to mind it almost seems unreal.

My moment was not fun at all. This had happened two years ago. My older cousin and I had been discussing going trick or treating together. We began to look at costume catalogs. When we narrowed down costumes we had made the plans final. A week before Halloween my cousin had called and said she wasn’t feeling well and would not be going trick or treating with me. At first it didn’t bother me that much because I figured I could find someone else. The night before Halloween I still hadn’t found someone to go with. I had started to cry because I knew I wouldn’t be going this year. Then my cousin called and said she had suddenly felt better and would go. I knew the whole thing was a lie so she didn’t have to go with me. I told her that I didn’t want her to come if she didn’t want to. Instead of trick or treating my parents bought me a bag of candy and a slushy. Now, on Halloween I have friends over instead of trick or treating. Some kids don’t have these realization moments and still go out at the age of sixteen.

What should parents do when a teenager shows up at their door dressed up waiting for candy? Should parents really give them candy? If they dress up and are in the spirit, they should just give them one. Parents shouldn’t encourage this behavior, but be sure to not be rude. If discouraging kids form trick or treating doesn’t happen naturally parents should offer alternative ideas. If it gets to them trick or treating in high school it’s time for drastic measures. Some alternative options to do are throw a party, have a few friends over, watch scary movies, buy candy, or go out and spend time with family. Remember to enjoy Halloween when you’re still young.