Cell phones: We're Addicted | Teen Ink

Cell phones: We're Addicted

By VeeTse BRONZE, Taipa, Other
VeeTse BRONZE, Taipa, Other

My father has once said that eventually, at some point in the future, technology will possess the tendency to overthrow and rule the world. The percentage of truth in this statement can’t be determined overnight however it is proven that we have all become addicted to cell phones. Cell phones have, without doubt, created a rapid revolution that simplifies communication within our society drastically. Yet having learnt about the previous mistakes of mankind, we can come to a conclusion that not all changes and revolutions are beneficial. On the contrary, these changes are the polar opposite and might possibly be the deadliest drug mankind have encountered.

The use of cellphones at school have slowly crept up to become a major controversy that transmit troubles, headaches and sleepless nights to school boards, parents and students. As an in-class cellphone user myself, I regret to admit that I am inseparable with my cellphone therefore I understand the uneasiness when your cellphone is not within a reaching distance. A multitude of guilt runs through me as I type this for my stance and my personal action creates a contradiction that is not only ironic but rather hypocritical. You see, I believe that I am not only a user of the cellphone but a victim of this device. Even the top student will unintentionally take out their cellphones when something is categorized as boring or not in their interest is being taught or presented. I speak on the behalf of students I know and I dare say that the use of cell phones have transformed into a sixth sense where we “slide to unlock” unconsciously. This type of behaviour and phycological impact the cellphone has upon us is unbearingly unacceptable. I believe the only solution would be to have cell phones removed from us throughout classes and given back to us during a break time or lunch. Understanding the addiction I have gotten myself into, I am a strong devotee of confiscation and believe it is the only resolution.

In addition to the agitation and concerns it has caused schools- families have also been suffering from the addiction to cell phones. Now thankfully, my family does not have the habit of bringing technology on to the dinner table however other families may not be so lucky. It has come to my attention that dinner time has become a period for our stomachs to replenish itself rather than a time for family bonding, sharing and expression. Walking into a restaurant, not only will you see food, delicacies and waiters in smart clothing, you will also visualize a sea of heads, bobbed down, facing their phones while choking themselves with whatever is planted in front of them. With the amount of lowered heads and silent dinners I encounter, my brain begs the question, “why would you pay so much attention to an inanimate, dead object instead of a living human right in front of you?”. During my experience with such conduct, the mischievous enticement to hide their phones dawn upon me. Their phones may be able to be found again yet when traditions are lost, it has departed us forever.

I am ashamed of having to live in a world where cell phones take a higher priority than education. I despise the era and generation I am living in today where a dinner only exists to fill your stomach. Traditions have been lost and profound aspects of our lives have lost their complexity due to a devil device that was supposed to make our lives simpler. Simpler is right. So simple that things have already turned grey when we still have decades in front of us. Whether or not technology or cell phones will take over the world one day, I am unquestionably positive on the fact that cell phones have already impacted and stunned the world physcologically. A change that can never be unseen.