Internet: Connecting, Building, or Destroying Tomorrow | Teen Ink

Internet: Connecting, Building, or Destroying Tomorrow

March 17, 2013
By SimplyAaron BRONZE, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
SimplyAaron BRONZE, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm going to do what I want to do. I'm going to be who I really am. I'm going to figure out what that is." - Emma Watson


December 1995, the number of users was 16 million, 0.4% of the world population. Ten years later, December 2005, the number of users increased to 1.018 million, 15.7% of the world population. Now, the statistics doubled at the beginning of 2013. The number is now 2.405 million, 34.3% of the world population.
Eleven letters, five syllables, one simple word: “electricity”. Experimented in the 18th century, and mastered by the 20th century, we, as the dominant species, have made many technological advances. As we learned from our past, we know it could be helpful, constructive, or even harmful.

Every day, we use our smart phones to text, surf the net, or check our e-mails. I walk by people and I often hear, “I have to “tweet” this,” “This has to go on “Instagram”, or the famous, “I have to update my status”. Consequently, we could be using Google to do a last minute report, or skipping through news articles. Nevertheless, technology connects us, and has been proven to be inseparable because we are too dependent upon it.

Our planet is built upon communications, such as media networks, phones, and satellites. Hearing the words “technology builds our planet” we often picture machinery constructing beautiful buildings or plazas; however, it is not. It is the cavemen striking rocks together to make sparks, or being electrocuted while flying a kite. All because of small accidental occurrences, we were able to learn and improve upon them. Although, technology evolved us from simple primates to “Class A” category creatures, we have not realized that what we “found” a few centuries ago is destroying our society. Sure, we all see fancy sports cars, million dollar homes, or designer labels, but it’s what we cannot perceive that is dismantling our perfect world. Little by little, generations will be lost either by a lack of interest of education, or putting technology above everything. We see this in full time gamers, at schools, or those we-need-Wi-Fi-to-live people.

I was a gamer. A few months ago, I could go hours without food and all I needed was my laptop and Wi-Fi. I mainly play “DotA” and “LoL” with my friends. We were competitive players, and they usually “rage quit” on me when I “fool around”. January 1st came; I made a resolution, like many of us, to quit gaming altogether. My awareness of this addiction probably saved me from failing grades. Many of us have heard or played the game “World of Warcraft”. First impressions? Amazing and stunning graphics. However, this all changed in 2005 when two people continuously gamed for days and dropped dead, or the most recent death in 2012, where a teenager played “Diablo III” for 40 hours straight. He too dropped dead. These are only a few of many that breathed their last breath while gaming.

We all love state-of-the-art electronics, and will be completely at a loss without it; either at solving equations, transportation, or entertainment. We, as the superiors of the animal kingdom, are already at a loss when the 21st century began. Things were easier in the 20th century because of the value of the dollar, actual thinking, and no internet!

New York Times released an article called “iDisorders”. In this article, it emphasized how America’s obsession with technology can easily become a relationship wrecker as it takes up more space in everyone’s lives and replaces face to face interactions. This is scary, but 100% accurate. I saw a family at a restaurant, but instead of conversing amongst themselves, they were either texting at blazing speeds, or engulfed on their phone. To me, this ruins a family and probably the individuals because on their phones, they could say or be anyone they want. However, to them, it’s a world created within their mobile devices which shelters them from all “dangers” of the real world.
After all, the wise Albert Einstein did say, “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.” This will be our future if we don’t start challenging ourselves. I have already begun, but the question is, are you?


The author's comments:
My experience and seeing other people going through what I went through inspired this work. I hope by reading this, people would finally realize the dangers of the online world.