The Influence of Rap Music | Teen Ink

The Influence of Rap Music

By Azzairia BRONZE, New Hope, Minnesota
Azzairia BRONZE, New Hope, Minnesota

"Failure is the key to success"

Do you know what the following phrases, Yolo and I popped a molly, now I’m sweating mean. Individuals who are unfamiliar are probably Adults who are reading this and probably thinking what is this girl saying, but these phrases are actually used in modern language, especially among teenagers. These are the type of phrases that rappers instill into their vernacular and ours because of their genre of music. Not only do rappers influence people’s language, but they also influence how people dress and also the activities the youth generation participates in, such as doing drugs, getting tattoos, drinking, and using Ebonics.

First let’s start off with the influence of language. Many rappers frequently use slang or acronyms in their songs, which begin to make way into our communication. Most of the time the songs are catchy, so teenagers will get these tunes stuck in their heads and begin to incorporate them into their speech. My mom, who is a teacher, told me that many of her students sound illiterate and use improper language. They use words such as finna, dawg and cuz, which is what rappers incorporate in their songs. I will admit that I myself have fallen victim to some of these slang words and acronyms, but what happened to the art of speech? Before rap evolved into slang words and acronyms, speech was an important aspect of citizens. Making small talk was a vital part of every day lives, and it was key to getting ahead in the world, as displayed in Pygmalion. Now people disregard being articulate, and they’re main concerns are having the same vernacular as rappers in order to sound “cool.” The phrases rappers say and use in their songs may seem cool to the younger generations, but in reality I would assume our youth are destroying opportunities for themselves such as trying to find a well-paying job or having the skill of articulating with intelligent people.

Not only do we communicate with our speech, but we also communicate with our attire. Rappers have influenced this part of many people lives as well as their speech. What we wear says something about us, and it gives off an insight into our daily lives. If someone were to wear a blazer, many people would judge him or her as being professional. If someone had a rip in their jeans, or sagged their pants, like most teenagers do nowadays, many people would judge him or her as not caring , unprofessional or being a thug. The newest fad now among some teenage boys, not particularly at Benilde, but at other schools, is to wear skinny jeans, since this is apart of the attire of icons such as Wiz Khalifa and Lil Wayne. Rappers make a lot of money; so many kids want to be associated with the image of “looking rich.” By them “looking rich,” many people would judge them as actually being rich. This idea of dressing like rappers has permeated throughout the teenage populations, and it continues to affect how we communicate with others. I recently heard a speaker talk about our own branding. He said that first impressions always count because it shapes our judgment of people. If someone is revealing too much of their skin with their attire, then people might assume that she may want sex, but in reality she may just be looking for love. If someone were to sag their pants, most people would assume they are apart of a gang, but in reality they could be one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet. With our own branding you want to seem professional, but you also have to be able to turn “it” on and off. You want to be professional around your coworkers and relaxed around your family. These actions communicate that you are able to turn “it” on and off, and also that you would be the ideal person for the job. By speaking like a rapper, people destroy their branding and lose the opportunity of getting ahead in the world.

My writing piece talks about how our communication has changed because of the influence of rap music. It not only talks about speech, but also how we dress and act.

haj23 said...
In the second paragraph where you were talking about the slang and illerate use of words, you said "they're main concerns are having the same vernacular..." it should be "Their main concerns etc".