Runaway Love | Teen Ink

Runaway Love

July 6, 2010
By TerrenceF BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
TerrenceF BRONZE, Fort Worth, Texas
1 article 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never give up. Keep on trying.


Every year about 1-3 million kids are runaways or homeless living on the streets. This statistic got my attention and reminded me of a song called Runaway love. I know most have heard the song titled runaway love by Mary J. Blige and Ludachris. To me this song is a really magnificent! This song is important because it explains some of the things that moms do not understand is going on for most of the teenage girls out there. For these two popular singers to understand that is a huge step for adults. I think that these two should get together more and make more songs like this explaining all the things that are going on for teenagers these days because they are some good singers.

The song is about some teenage girls going through some hardships in their life. They are going through rapes and doing drugs. One girl goes through having sex at 11 years old and gets pregnant and then she tells the father of the baby and he tells her to go away because it is not his. Also he was not ready for a kid. The child is not able to go home because she knows that her mom will blow it all out of proportion. All the other girls are also going through a lot but not as much as this one girl went through. She lost everyone that loved her.

I have wanted to runaway several times in my life because of things I have seen. I have watched family members getting beaten on and I wanted to kill the guy or just runaway so that I do not hurt anyone. I felt like a car without breaks. I just could not stop I was going on a rampage. I made sure that the way I was going I would try to get off by myself just so that I would not hurt anyone ever. I have gotten into fights because of things I saw because the next day people were making fun of those things. I am just trying to make sure that those things do not happen again. I want all the teens that read this especially boys NEED to understand that carrying anger or fighting all the time is not good. Explain what it has done to you.

The other singers that are not addressing this violence need to follow these singers lead and start because we need more songs like this that can show parents the things that they are missing. Ludachris is a really good singer and he is singing like this. This comes to show that the other singers like Eminem and Lil Wayne can sing like this to. I think they should at least take a shot at it so that they can see how people like it instead of making fun of the ones who do. I would love to see more songs like this. T.i has made a song of how people can be bad at one point in time and then change into someone who dose not get into trouble anymore. His song Dead and gone is the song that I am referring to. If you have not heard that song i suggest that you go to youtube or anywhere you can and look it up.

Teenage girls are not the only ones who can go through these problems teenage boys can also suffer because of domestic violence. They may not suffer from rape but teenage boys can have the urge to want to runaway. We can get into fights with our stepdads if we have some and then we want to runaway so that we do not kill him or so that he does not kill us. The title fits the song. But I think they should have called it ‘Don't runaway love’ because they should have tried to explain to kids that it is not ok to runaway not that it is ok because kids should not run away from their family.


The author's comments:
The song called Runaway Love by Ludacris and Mary J. Blige