Oh how far we've Fallen | Teen Ink

Oh how far we've Fallen

By Your_Guardian_Angel PLATINUM, Clermont, Florida
Your_Guardian_Angel PLATINUM, Clermont, Florida

"I have great confidence in fools, my friends call it self-confidence."

The fifties is known for poodle skirts and sock hops, the sixties for dancing and “Hairspray”, the seventies is the age of hippies, the eighties Rock n’ Roll, the nineties is the age of Raves and Michael Jordan, but what about today? Our society today is marked by crime, violence, world hunger, non-existent family life, and the desecration of Earth. Living in a world such as the one we reside in today moves many to contemplate their own personal security and safety. Some believe that their security and safety is in danger because of the increase in crime so they install security systems and buy weapons for protection, yet there’s still crime. Some blame it on the lack of parental interest in their children so they take more of an interest yet there are still troubled teens. Crime, troubled teens, and other various problems are not the biggest threat to our security and safety. The biggest threat is ourselves. Yes, crime, war and disease are threats but the source of these problems is our society. Our society today is the biggest threat to our own personal security and safety; we are our own worst enemy. Today we have become numb. Things that we wouldn’t think twice about seeing would appall someone from an earlier generation. To make things worse as new children are brought into this world they are taught that these things are acceptable by our own passive behavior. The only way to stop this cycle of self-destructive is personal responsibility; each individual taking their own personal steps to not accept morally questionable actions and working to make sure others around them realize these things are not acceptable. This could be done by reaching out to those making destructive decisions, youth ministry, or even just setting a good example.