Child Labor Laws | Teen Ink

Child Labor Laws

By Skybon SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland
Skybon SILVER, Chevy Chase, Maryland

I strongly believe that some child labor laws should be non-existent. Personally I would rather have a job than go to school. Or even just an after school job. I don’t care if I would be working as a cashier at a Wal-Mart. As long as I get paid at least minimum wage and it doesn’t involve manufacturing frozen foods or making shoes. For kids ages 10-13 all you can do is have a lemonade stand, mow the lawn, or babysit. Personally I am tired of this. My dad always says to get a job. Well, I want one but child labor laws stand in my way. I’m sure parents would want kids to get jobs. This way they could help pay for the things they wanted. Then, kids don’t have to beg for money. Of course child labor laws are important. Without child labor laws being strict someone would open up a sweatshop where kids would be making shoe soles for 1 cent an hour. But at least bend the laws a bit. In order for the kid to get a job the employer and the future employee would have to go through these steps.

1.
The future employee must have an interview with the future employer

2. Then the employer must contact the child’s parents and review the types of labor their child would be performing

3. If parents agree then the child will be permitted to have a job

4. But the employer must treat the child fairly and give them equal break time as the other employee’s, if not more

But that’s just my opinion…