The American Spirit | Teen Ink

The American Spirit

What is voting? Voting is placing your mind, soul, and heart on a piece of paper. It’s waking up early in the morning and getting out of bed knowing I’ve done all I can. It’s going out of the way to assure my ideas are heard. It’s being proud of my believes and even more proud to show it to the world. It’s believing that no matter how insignificant I seem, I know I will make a difference. 

Voting is using the unalienable right to its full use. It’s doing what generations before us worked so hard for the opportunity we have. It’s utilizing the idea of Democracy, and to assure that I the minority can prevent the policies of the majority. It’s ensuring the people and their ideas rule this country instead of any politician or government. It’s understanding that not everyone gets this right, but I do. It’s using the right, because I know that if I don’t, I may lose it.

Voting is the American spirit. It’s appreciating the freedom and opportunity I have. It’s making sure the world for my kids, and their kids is peaceful and treats them just as well as it treated myself. It’s making debates and arguments just to get a point across. It’s also preventing a world that is controlled by someone else’s ideas instead of the people’s. Although, voting may be seen as pointless and boring, it’s why this country still stands firm and confident in an evil world.