A Modest, American Proposal | Teen Ink

A Modest, American Proposal

May 22, 2019
By alisiasimmons BRONZE, Parkville, Maryland
alisiasimmons BRONZE, Parkville, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

To come home to a happy family has always been a part of the American dream. To be American, to be wealthy, healthy, opportunistic and best of all successful.  To be American, is to live and venture out freely on the pursuit of happiness with no regrets. To be American, is to proudly live in the home of the free and the land of the brave with liberty and justice for all. Liberty and Justice. For all. How many Americans are granted their liberty and justice? Of course, without question it’s all of us. It is most definitely all of us. Brock Turner received the justice he deserved, three months rightfully so! Trayvon Martin and Freddie Gray were arguably some of the most liberated African Americans to walk the streets of America. Martin Luther King Jr. died for the dream! The American dream.  He had an audience so big, so passionate, that they would go out of their way to express their opinions to him even if it meant doing him harm. They loved the civil rights movement. A movement Americans really didn’t even need because we the people are already equal! People living with nothing really have everything, they are in America… right? Capitalism grants us all the opportunity to benefit economically. That’s why we all get and give so much money! Innocent people die every day. Innocent people are incarcerated every day. Honestly, as beneficial as political action may be, it’d probably be best to just send our thoughts and prayers. Children, the precious future of this corrupt nation, are dying in the places they get sent to learn. Well to say the least, they’re learning a lot and it’s not about math. America, the land of the free, the home of the brave.  We are truly the perfect nation. Our government has everything under control. They know nothing of police brutality, poverty, drug rings, violence and corruption. If they did, they would definitely tell us. Everything and everyone is under control and as long as my phone keeps working, job keeps paying and food keeps coming, everyone and everything is perfect. We are living the American dream.


The author's comments:

An AP Language and Composition project inspired by A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift