Child Suicide | Teen Ink

Child Suicide

March 1, 2019
By Lbrown21 BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
Lbrown21 BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What would you do if you saw a kid getting bullied? Would you try to help or just stand there? You think they’re alright but you soon find out, they’ve committed suicide. Why would a child, our future generation, do something this serious? If you could’ve took the seconds to help, that person would still be here today.  

Child suicide is a very serious topic that needs to be handled. Child suicide is a real thing in our world. Child suicide needs to end because kids need to be kids. No child should be faced with something like bullying or being put into family issues. All they want is to live a normal life. Children need to be loved and well nourished.

Many suicide attempts for a child is mainly because of bullying. Also, it could be of feeling stressed, self-doubt, pressure to succeed, financial uncertainty (for teenagers), disappointment, and loss. For some children, suicide is a solution to their problems. The age range for children 5-12 according to a CNN article. From the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry  kids that might want to commit suicide could change their eating or sleeping habits, frequent or persuasive sadness, withdrawal from friends, families, and their normal activities, repeated complaints about physical symptoms and much more.

I believe that child suicide must be stopped now. Innocent children are dying over silly things. Child suicide deaths more than doubled from 2008 to 2016 according to an article from USA Today. Kids are so precious to us. Why would they do something like this?

If a child doesn’t act like they normally would, ask you child questions. You could help save a child’s life or change their minds and get them some help. There are many places that can help with suicide issues. Even if kids say that their okay, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, legal guardians, keep “bugging” your kids. It just might help you know more about your child and try to fix any problems that they might have.  We love the children and don’t want them to end their lives.


The author's comments:

This is about the horrors of child suicide and it must end.