Language: It is Okay to Keep it Simple | Teen Ink

Language: It is Okay to Keep it Simple

By nmanaster BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
nmanaster BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Euphemisms are defined as “the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt.” In other words, they are words which replace other words that are considered taboo to speak in everyday language. They are used to soften expressions and be considerate of others feelings.

Common examples of euphemisms include, “living on the streets” instead of homeless, “passed away” instead of died, “psychologically disturbed” instead of crazy, or “rehabilitation center” instead of prison. While these phrases intend to soften a phrase, make it more polite, or protect feelings, but in the process they make language more complicated than it needs to be.

In fact, it can be debated whether or not these phrases are actually polite. Just the other day, I overheard two girls discussing the phrase “african-american”. Their opinion was that the phrase is meant to be polite, but it is in fact inaccurate. One of the girls said, “I don’t want to be called ‘African-American.’ I’m not from Africa. I’m just an American who happens to be black.” The other girl said, “Saying ‘she’s black’ isn’t rude, it's the color of my skin and it's not an insult.”People are attempting to avoid offending others with the phrase “African American”, while this evidence shows that just saying something as it is is not offensive, it is correct and direct.

This problem extends beyond this particular situation into many other phrases. For example, “put to sleep” instead of euthanize. Sometimes, it is okay to say something as it is rather than invent some sort of phrase to soften it. There is nothing wrong with saying something directly. In addition, changing the name of something does not in fact change its meaning. Consequently, there is simply no reason to soften a phrase, when almost everyone who hears it understands exactly what is being talking about just in a few more words.

However, in some cases perhaps euphemisms are an attempt at covering up what something means. For example, the term “illegal aliens”, which is commonly used by politicians, is not something used in everyday language.

Ordinary people call “illegal aliens” immigrants, which is shorter and more easily understood. Another term used by politicians is “enhanced interrogation methods” which means torture. Was the invention of these phrases politicians attempt at rewriting them so that some members of the public do not know what they mean? Possibly, as a matter of fact, these phrases can become so twisted that they are almost like a form of propaganda. Euphemisms, when used by politicians, can limit the information that the public can understand creating misunderstandings.

There is no reason to not say something as it really is unless someone is intentionally trying to create misunderstanding. It is okay to keep language simple and avoid over complication. In fact, it is better to keep language direct rather than leave room for interpretation about what the speaker is trying to say. Do not be afraid to call something by a simple name, it is ok to keep language simple.