A Box of Infinite | Teen Ink

A Box of Infinite

November 3, 2014
By PlaidDragon BRONZE, Evans, Georgia
PlaidDragon BRONZE, Evans, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To see a million different mindsets for every situation is my kind of heaven."


I have never been easy to please, especially on the subject of literature. Every modern teenage romance that my bookworm friends recommended me was just so dry and overused, like a daisy growing in a field of its siblings. They made me wish for a bonfire solely in which to incinerate them.

This is not to say that enjoying these repetitive, cheesy little treats is wrong. Plenty of people like the pretty, familiar charm of daisy fields. However, I've always wished for something a little more fresh. A massive garden full of predatory, exotic flowers, with for trees growing branch to branch with cacti. The Oddysey, Romeo and Juliet, Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Flies. I want- no, I demand- new, strange vocabulary that forces me to investigate just to comprehend its meaning. I implore young authors such as me to disregard the sanity of their writing for the sake of their documents' soul. 

I have my own flaws in writing that I am harangued about from my critics (just my mother and English teachers) that I don't put all of the soul that I can into my pieces. While I am conflicted to call it such a thing and do so cautiously, it is something of a stylistic choice to only include so many of my thoughts in one paragraph, as it is only the filter on my mouth and at the tips of my fingers that keep my words in coherency. Yet, I only dare to apply my censorship to my words, never my thoughts. 

The mind, I philosophize, is a labyrinth. Some, such as mathematicians, wish only to know where they are and where they must go. Others, such as the modern day author sucked into the high pace, obsessive pop culture and endless worship of the 1990's, find their scenic route and stay there.

I challenge that. The most important thing I've learned is the same lesson that has made me infinitely happier reading my own writing, and is therefore the best advice I can give to someone seeking enlightenment on nearly anything: worry not about how others see you, nor about the logistics in your life or the safety of what you do. Instead, concern yourself with what you have learned, and what you wish to learn and what you will come to learn in time. Seek answers within your own mind, for you are the only one who can give yourself an answer fitting to your mindset, and you are the only one that can make yourself happy by finding your own philosophy.

Open up a box of infinite for yourself, and then you may be able to manipulate your naked soul, and share your image with the world in whatever way you may wish. You may even find yourself changing somebody's life for the better as you will have done for yourself. 


The author's comments:

I have always been picky with my philosophies, trying them on like clothes to fit my morals. As I've gone along, collecting and shaping myself through accidental meditation, I realized that a lot of people don't reflect upon themselves, and learn only through experience.  The idea gave me a sort of disturbed feeling- after all, my best qualities have come from self-discovery, and it has improved my life in ways I couldn't even begin to explain. So, when prompted by my English teacher, Mrs. Carrigan, to write an essay on who I was destined to be- I said an author- I was forced to think about why I want people to think about themselves. That's the birth ground of this little thought bubble, I think.