Is Miley Cyrus a Bad Influence? | Teen Ink

Is Miley Cyrus a Bad Influence?

By Mister_J PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mister_J PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"Captain, I wish to report a mutiny. I can name fingers and point names." - Captain Jack Sparrow

A controversial issue in today’s society, Miley Cyrus shocked the world with her debut song “We Can’t Stop”, where she introduced her new image as the punk pop queen that in no way resembled her previous image as Hannah Montana. Since then, much stir has been created over whether or not she really is that bad of an influence. I don’t believe she truly is that bad of an influence, depending on who is viewing the songs she makes.

In today’s society, pop singers have started making more songs and music videos that will make critics go crazy. Really, this is used as a marketing tool. Pop artists are starting to realize that the more controversial they can make their songs and music videos, the more money they will make because the people of the world are attracted to this kind of controversy. With Miley Cyrus, she is just using this tool to her advantage. When she was known as Disney child star Hannah Montana, she had to have this good girl image forced upon her every day. This new Miley Cyrus is just her way of showing that she didn’t want to be this good girl all the time. She was trying to say that she should have her choice in this matter. What she is trying to teach teenagers now is that you should make your own choices and that you shouldn’t be forced to do what other people think is best.

In her new songs, Miley Cyrus has touched upon controversial topics such as drugs, alchohol, and strip clubs. She has made the ‘twerk’ dance move famous around the world, and critics have absolutely bombed her with negative feedback. And yet, she still makes millions of dollars and sells millions of albums because people like her songs. People enjoy her rebellious attitude toward her forced image of Hannah Montana. Is it really that bad to send out that kind of message? Several other famous people have gone on a similar route. Take Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, who were the stars of the Harry Potter movies for years. Now they have gone into different genres of film, some of which aren’t necessarily appropriate for children. But that is what they want to do. Miley Cyrus is just one of many people who have decided they didn’t want to continue being forced to be own thing when they want to be another.

If anything, Miley Cyrus is a good influence on teenagers. While her songs and videos may have inappropriate material for young children, they have valuable life lessons for teenagers. Her whole new image is teaching teenagers to choose their own path in life, rather than other people choosing it for them. Miley Cyrus isn’t a bad influence; she’s just making her own choices in life.

SayWhat said...
Are you kidding me?