Not a typical teenage girl | Teen Ink

Not a typical teenage girl

By Fiona BRONZE, New Paltz, New York
Fiona BRONZE, New Paltz, New York

Yes, I want to get a car when I turn sixteen. No, I don’t want a silver Mercedes or a yellow Ferrari, instead I want a Ford pickup truck from the 50’s; re-built and preferably painted an orangey red.
Yes, I have been offered drugs, but I have more self respect than to slip into a downward spiral of drugs. No, I don’t avoid these people, instead I make friends with them and try to help them find joy in life.
Yes, I attend a private school, but I am not a millionaire nor is anyone in my family. I am on financial aid.
Yes, I hate school, although I love learning.
Yes, I wear skinny jeans. Not because they are the latest trend but because they are easier to tuck into my cowboy boots.
Yes, I want to get a tattoo when I turn 18, but I don’t want a butterfly on my breast or a flower on my butt. Actually, I want the words “Live life to the fullest” on my left shoulder in script.
Yes, I have had a boyfriend. No it was not your “typical” teen relationship; which starts with the girl drooling over the boy, them going on one date, and then ending with the girl sitting at home crying while she eats a pint of Ben and Jerrys, a week later. Instead my relationship lasted for 3 an half months. We spent almost every week together and we both really loved each other.
Yes, I exercise, but not to become a double 0 model, instead I do it to be healthy.
Yes, I love pink gloss, but I don’t wear it for the attention, I wear it because I absolutely love the taste of bubble gum flavored lip gloss.
Yes, I text 24/7 but I discuss meaning full topics with friends, while using proper punctuation.
Most stereotypes have some truth to them, but most are not entirely true. Do NOT be one of those stereotypes just to fit in. You will have more fun simple being yourself and wouldn’t you rather be hated for being yourself than liked for being something you’re not?